sponge or no sponge ?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by lam
Well, they don't have water bowls in the wild, but they do have big ponds, little ponds, tiny ponds that are made by rain water being trapped on leaves, and moisture from the forests themselves. Water bowls are the closest things to the little water pools in forests. What would you be finding in the wild that resembles a sponge?
I love what Steve said, wish I had thought of it. I suspect that many wild T's rarely, if ever have the opprotunity to drink fom open water. Most won't wander that far from their burrow to go to a steam or pool, but they might get a chance immediately after a rain. That wasn't exactly my point, however.

My point is that almost nothing we do with T's in captivity reflects their natural state. We keep them on peat moss, vermiculite, coconut fibers, potting soil etc...some may be organic, but none represent the T's surroundings in the wild. We feed them cultured prey insects and vertebrates (often pre-killed!) that most would probably never encounter in the wild. They're subjected to unnatural light, supplemental heat and indoor temps, and keep them in boxes. If we feel like it, we can create a a terrarium that LOOKS natural, but this is purely for our own benefit, the T's aren't fooled.

In light of all this, saying that sponges shouldn't be used because "T's don't have them in the wild" is not a valid argument. The fact that they can become bacteria farms IS a very valid, and provable, argument.

If one wants to go to the trouble of cleaning/replacing them, sponges can work. Nixy uses sponges to solve specific problems. She understands the potential problems and has taken measures to prevent them. It may not be the course of action I would have chosen (I have around 100 T's, can't imagine keeping all those sponges clean!), but if it's working for her, great!

On the humidfier sponge thing, I think bacteria is still an issue. The manufactures recomend disinfecting and changing the sponge periodically. I prefer the more modern humidifiers that are less high matinence and don't use sponges.

Wade

BlackRashid24

Arachnopeon
no spomge, no cotton...just water

the reason is, it allows mold/bateria to grow and cotton is not needed for a T to hydrate.
Lol. Imagine how long it will take for mold to grow on a piece of cotton or sponge.
And what bacteria?
How filthy is the tarantula and its enclosure. You that to think man.

Well you only use three sponges and you clean them regularly, so no problem, you don't have in excess of 100 T's. You have your reasons, doesn't mean everyone can go and put sponges in their enclosures with no fear, does it. It's not just fecal matter that causes the bacteria either.

Insects may get eaten straight away, some may not (I guess it would depend if you plonk one in at a time)and the keeper may not be able to get the cricket out without upsetting everything. What you are saying is hypothetical and I'm saying why take the risk.

My response was in general and in no way related to you and your keeping habits. You defended your reasons (no need, as I said I wasn't replying to you)and I certainly understood them, doesn't mean I'll change my keeping methods as I keep a few more then seven. I hope you understand my point. There's no offense or flame intended your way.

Thanks,
Steve
Who is that broke or cheap that they have to reuse the tiny piece of sponge they put in their tarantulas enclosure?
A bag of 300 cotton balls are 1.29 from the dollar store.

Just give them heat and food.
That's it.
And most as if the when they get rain in the wild.
How thirsty do you think a tarantula gets?
That it'll need a damn water bowl?
This isn't an Iguana , Chinese water dragon or a German Shepherd.
It's a spider.
Anyone who's alive most likely have seen a spider in the corner of their ceiling just chilling.
How often do you see that spider climbing down and heading back n forever to your Kitchen or bathroom for a drink out your sink , tub or toilet?!?
And then climbing back up to the corner of the ceiling???

melts be fore real guys and stop listening to these bs YouTube people

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just found my P. fasciata taking a drink, just in case anyone was wondering if tarantulas use their water dishes.. IMG_3476.jpeg

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Lol. Imagine how long it will take for mold to grow on a piece of cotton or sponge.
And what bacteria?

Who is that broke or cheap that they have to reuse the tiny piece of sponge they put in their tarantulas enclosure?
Stop being pussies and realize that in the wild many animals have been around since the age of the Dinosaurs.
That's it.
It's a spider.
Anyone who's alive most likely have seen a spider in the corner of their ceiling just chilling.
How often do you see that spider climbing down and heading back n forever to your Kitchen or bathroom for a drink out your sink , tub or toilet?!?

Wow!!!!!

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
And what bacteria?

Stop being pussies and realize that in the wild many animals have been around since the age of the Dinosaurs.
That's it.
It's a spider.

One of the main reasons for supplying a water dish is to maintain a decent humidity level, prevents moult issues.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What can be done with a sponge can be done with sphagnum moss. And yes, I know a lot of tarantulas that will drink from a sponge/moss. I have seen it in the wild even. Mostly in the brach and gamma families. They will find soaking wet moss, bunch it up with their front legs and squeeze the water out. Back in the 1980's, it was standard feature. You watered every 3 days changing out the sponge.

I only use it for those that need the extra humidity and for really small slings. I give the water dish with moss. If they fall in, they can climb out. Need to water more often, but it serves its function.

As for those that are freaking out about defecation, time to up date your systems to bioactive.

catboyeuthanasia

Arachnosquire
+1 on the sphagnum suggestion. Mold grows slower on moss than for sponge. I have heard of people using sponge for hermit crabs. They have guides on how to clean them between uses, but, again, tarantula needs are likely much different than crab ones.

I've also heard of sponges being used as a sterile humidity source for overseas shipping that does not allow moss or dirt.

Kada

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
The majority of my tarantulas drink from their water bowls—including arboreals. Tarantulas are not house spiders.
That's how I run things too. Always open bowls with exception of sometimes tiny spiderlings I use moss too. Just because I feel water should always be available, in puddle form (ie a dish) and not spraying which creates new variables in tiny confinement. The odd time I use moss, it's still changed out weekly and just added to a vivarium for litter.

Edit. These are my standard dishes for most of my spiders.

For enclosure reference

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I have witnessed most my Ts using their dishes. They also provide moisture for overall ambient humidity. Plus if you fill sloppily every other time it increases that.
No to sponges