Split Tanks, Good or Bad?

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
I have a few old fish tanks around and I have been thinking about getting a few more Ts. I know there are a few threads about splits tanks (not many) and the positives (space, etc.) and the negatives (air flow and separate lids, etc.), but I have not really found anything about whether it should even be done or not. My question is this: Is it a good stress free environment for the T or does it cause the T undue stress? Like Beta fish, they sell split tanks so you can house multiple fish together, looks cool, but if you know anything about the fish, you know this causes them a great deal of stress due to being on defense mood all the time and it eventually stresses them to death. Is this not true for Ts. I am way to new to the hobby and don’t know enough about long term care for the species and I don’t want to make a newbie mistake or spend all the time and effort on a cool project just to find out it was for me not the T. Any experience?

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can be done but must use caution or you'll end up with 1 really big Tarantula.

It's best to fore go the risk and just use 2 smaller containers or use two smaller containers and get more collection, larger specimens, to use the existing ones you have :)

Also.. Search, Search, Search! Many a thread already debating the pro's and con's..

Here's one that explains the horror: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=164074

Last edited:

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks Ict but thats not really what I am addressing. Not talking about the horror stories or the pro and cons of split tanks. I am asking about the long term mental health impacts to the Ts.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry mate, your right and I admit I read the first few lines and jumped to conclusions, my apologies there..

Too quick on the reply button tonight ;)

DrJonnyD

Arachnosquire
Thanks Ict but thats not really what I am addressing. Not talking about the horror stories or the pro and cons of split tanks. I am asking about the long term mental health impacts to the Ts.