Spiderlings, and their care........

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I became the nervous owner of 4 slings about a month ago, and since then have found them to really be quite easy to care for.

I'd never had slings before, then bought a 1.25" smithi (now ~ 1.5"), and had a 3/16" fasciatum (now .25"), a .5" rosea(now .75") and a .75" scrofa (now ~1") gifted to me....all at the same time!!:eek:

I check the moisture level 2 ways; I watch the daily condensation on the inside of the vials/tubs, and I will take out a small pinch of sub to place on a piece of tissue. The quicker the water wicks away into the tissue, the moister the sub. If there is lack of the first, then I do the second. If the wicking takes to long, I add a few drops of water to one side of the container.

All of my containers have air holes for ventilation, in the lids. Soft plastic containers and a safety pin for poking holes. :)

As far as feeding, the fasciatum gets a nice fat cricket thigh off the small cricket that will go to either the scrofa or rosea. (I do this for my son's .25" wolf spider sling as well.) The smithi gets a bigger, but still small cricket. If I only have smalls that are too big for my rosea/scrofa, I will crush a head or two.

It's really not that hard. I think perhaps where people get themselves into trouble is having too many slings at one time. I honestly don't know how breeders do it. :? I have 3 kids to raise, so 4 slings is enough for me.

(PS.. thanks to radjess331 for the commercial break in the Steve and lam Show.)

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How often and how much did you feed her?
About as much as she would eat, which was a lot. When I would find crickets that stayed in her cup overnight, I would hold off for a day or two. If she didn't eat the next time, she was premolt.

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am waiting for my first hatching, then i want to experiment with power feeding among other things. You can never learn enough in this hobby.