Spiderling barricades itself

Lalunajess

Arachnopeon
Hi!
My grammostola pulchra has barricaded itself in its burrow. Is this normal behavior before a molt? Im just concerned that it cant get to it's water dish to hydrate. I moved the dirt from beside the hide at first, but the spiderling keeps putting more dirt there. Should I just leave it alone? For how long? When should i intervene and how? Pics attached of enclosure. Thanks!

Attachments

mealworm

Arachnopeon
Very normal. It's basically telling you to leave me alone. Blurry pic but its abdomen looks plump. No need to intervene. Lots of info available just need to search for it. Good luck.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
For how long?
Weeks -- my pulchra doesn't shut itself in yet but does fast for easily three weeks before a molt even as an inch sling. This species has a slower growth rate and can have a long pre-molt -- weeks or months -- if they fatten up fast after the prior molt.

Keep filling the water dish as it evaporates, and if the sub has dried out completely, pour a little bit of water in one corner, just to make a damp spot.

taranbandido

Arachnosquire
Terrestrial par excellence.. Until it is L3/L4 it will not come out the door of the house.. Keep the substrate humid, not wet (soaked).. Regards...

taranbandido

Arachnosquire
Correct..Do not flood..Damp...

It is not necessary that you put such a large drinker for such a small enclosure... A 2l bottle cap. it will be enough.. 👍