spider 'research' decision

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, as you might know, I'm learning to be a teacher biology, and am in my last year now. I have to do some kind of research on an animal that you are totally free to choose. Ofcourse I thought about T's.
I don't know what type of research I'll be doing, have to figure that out (could be something with food, heating). I have the choice of three species spiderlings (when I've figured out what species I'll buy 20 slings of that species) , and I need your advice on which is the best. The requirements are not too difficult: no vulnerable species, good-eating and fast growing.
The three choices are:
Acanthoscurria geniculata (0,75 euro each)
Brachypelma albopilosum (0,50 euro each)
Cyclosternum fasciatum (1 euro each)

This is a sale of the largest spider-selling store in the Netherlands :) . It speaks for itself that I'll buy a few of each species but I want your opinion on which one I'll use for my research.
Hope to hear from y'all,
Joost

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I'm biased, but I'd say go with C. fasciatum. :)

You thinking measuring eating habits vs growth sort of thing? Sounds like fun. Any T you pick though.. you're gonna have to wait a looong time to finish such a project. Perhaps you could also factor temperature into your groups, try to see at what temperature they eat best at, etc. You'd need a control group, which I would take a survey to decide the conditions of, if I were you.

Bill

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are u gonna be dissecting them too? or isit gonna be a study thingy only?

:)
-e-

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok. Aren't commas in Europe like decimals in the US (monitarily)?

So 0,75 euro = 75% of one Euro?

I thought the euro traded almost 1:1 with the dollar?

Am I wrong? If not, that means you are getting awesome prices on your tarantulas.

I say go with the geniculata. They grow really fast. And after you are done, you can get a really good turn around price on them.

Jon

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You're right about the pricing Jon, 1 euro is about 1 dollar and 0,75 is 75% of an euro.
I've sent a mail to the shop to ask what species they have available (it is a sale so some species could be sold out). I think I'll go with the geniculata, and since they had 900 of them, I don't think they'll be sold out...:)
greetz,
Joost

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joost,
I'm wondering if you have to put up the coin for the project?
Teachers in the U.S have to spend alot of out of pocket money for their classes and extra's..If its none of my business, please just say so.;)

Ernie

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ernie,
First of all, this research has almost nothing to do with teaching, it is an assignment strictly on biology.
I have to pay for this project, my school doesn't provide money for this kind of projects (school budget is really low anyways).
On the schools I will be teaching in the future there is usually a budget for extra's, next to the budget for the necessary items (such as microscopes). I don't know how high the budget is, but I'm not counting on much. But I haven't heard of many teachers paying for their classes out of their own pockets, hope I won't have to ;)
I don't know if it's your business, you could be in a whole other business, don't know you that good...;) but I didn't mind the questions :)
greetz,
Joost

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by ArachnoJoost
You're right about the pricing Jon, 1 euro is about 1 dollar and 0,75 is 75% of an euro.
I've sent a mail to the shop to ask what species they have available (it is a sale so some species could be sold out). I think I'll go with the geniculata, and since they had 900 of them, I don't think they'll be sold out...:)
greetz,
Joost
That is awesome. I can't believe that you can get a geniculata s'ling for .75 euro! That just doesn't seem reasonable from a petstore. Maybe I need to move. :D

Jon

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They are that cheap over there???? I'm moving to Europe, man. About the T, I would go with the geniculata also. They grow fast and are really easy to care for. The only downside is you can never give any data regarding eating habits without giving the infinity sign as the data. But seriously, I have not seen my geniculata ever refusing food before, no matter how much I give her at a time. Just doesn't make any sense. Where do the food go afterward??? Anyhow, happy project.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeap, Ts are very cheap in Europe especialy slings, the max you pay for a "common" sling is not more than 10 euros, and this price usualy includes postage!

Of course these are the breeder prices since petstores usualy charge A LOT more.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Make that friggen' Central europe then :p

Anyho, neat project!