Spider Info Help

JordanWaxman

Arachnopeon
Spotted this little guy on the bathroom rug this morning and managed to get off this shot while he was still. This is going by my highly fallible memory and impression in the moment, but my impression is that he was about the size of a penny (including legs).

Does anybody know what kind of spider it is? I'm usually very chill about these things, but this is the second one we've seen in two days - the first was in our bed - and my wife is upset [polite understatement] about seeing them and whether there are more.

If it is helpful, we live in a 10th floor apartment in New York City.

Thanks!

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Does anybody know what kind of spider it is? I'm usually very chill about these things, but this is the second one we've seen in two days - the first was in our bed - and my wife is upset [polite understatement] about seeing them and whether there are more.
This is a harmless ground spider (Gnaphosidae). They hunt on foot instead of building webs to catch prey.

I wouldn't expect to see them indoors in large numbers, but while hunting on foot, they may wander inside from time to time.

The most effective way to reduce the number of spiders in and around your home is a combination of physically excluding them (sealing them out) and making your home less attractive to spiders by reducing harborages (places that spiders and their prey can live or hide) and not leaving lights on all night. (Lights attract some nocturnal insects and the spiders that feed on them.)

Gaps in screens, weatherstripping, and around plumbing and electrical conduits give spiders a way in. Vacuum or sweep away any webs that you do find around the home. Reduce clutter. Around the perimeter of the building, remove any woodpiles or other stacks of objects, and reduce the amount and height of vegetation and leaf litter. It can also be helpful to avoid using mulch or other bedding around the perimeter.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Many spider species also LOVE bathrooms because it's a source of moisture. This is why it's so common to find them trapped in sinks and bath tubs. So it would be worth checking for leaks under your sink. And a drippy faucet keeps the moisture levels up, too.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Many spider species also LOVE bathrooms because it's a source of moisture. This is why it's so common to find them trapped in sinks and bath tubs. So it would be worth checking for leaks under your sink. And a drippy faucet keeps the moisture levels up, too.
I have noticed this! I'm constantly fishing out little ones from my sink so they can continue on their way, and not go down the drain.