Spider Identification Request

leafhouse

Arachnopeon
Noticed this pretty spider outside on my porch this morning. Thought he was no longer alive until later in the evening I blew on him and he scurried away. Very interested in what this is, as I have never seen it before. I assume it's common but unfamiliar to me. I figured this would be a great place to start! Thank you so much for your time and help!

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome, and great picture! I'm no expert at spider IDs, but this looks like it may be from the orbweaver family Araneus. If so, then your mystery spider there is likely female (males are MUCH smaller). They are not dangerous, and tend to build large and interesting webs.

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Your little gal is def. a part of the Orb Weaver (Araneidae) Family and we think she is from the Genus Araneus or Neoscona but we're not sure on a species at the moment, in a bit of a rush this morning! :p

-As for a quick guess, I would say either A. andrewsi, A. bispinosus, A. gemma, A. illaudatus, or possibly even a A. trifolium.. from the Genus Araneus. As for the Genus Neoscona, I would guess N. crucifera but that's just a guess based off a quick glance of your picture.

Pictures/Names of Different Species Within This Genus Araneus:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/1977/bgpage

Common Species in the California Area include:
Araneus andrewsi, Aranea andrewsi, Araneus bispinosus, Araneus detrimentosus (Uncommon in California), Araneus gemma, Araneus gemmoides (Uncommon in Southern California), Araneus gemmoides, Araneus illaudatus, Aranea illaudata, Araneus pima, Araneus mariposa, Araneus mariposa, Araneus monica, Araneus montereyensis, Araneus nordmanni, Araneus pegnia, and Araneus trifolium
*(Search BugGuide.net for pictures and information or Google with caution)

Pictures/Names of Different Species Within The Genus Neoscona:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/1991/bgpage

* Also, Araneidae are harmless so no worries! :D

Quoted from BugGuide.net;
Behavior:
"Orb weavers are very docile, non-aggressive spiders that will flee at the first sign of a threat (typically they will run or drop off the web). They are not dangerous to people & pets, and are actually quite beneficial because they will catch and eat a lot of pest-type insects."

Being Bitten:
"Being bitten by an orb weaver is very uncommon, and typically the individual was "asking" to be bitten. Orb weavers will only bite if they feel threatened and trapped without a chance for escape (e.g. - like trying to pick them up). A bite is often compared to a bee sting, and for most people, is nothing serious. However, it is recommended to observe them in their environments (e.g. - on their web) and not to pick them up."

GOOD LUCK!! ;)

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Welcome, and great picture! I'm no expert at spider IDs, but this looks like it may be from the orbweaver family Araneus. If so, then your mystery spider there is likely female (males are MUCH smaller). They are not dangerous, and tend to build large and interesting webs.
I just wanted to correct you on something, Orb Weaver spiders come from the Family called "Araneidae" NOT "Araneus". There is a Genus within the Araneidae Family called "Araneus" but it's a Genus not the Family. It's so darn confusing, no worries.. I screwed it up a few times before getting it right as well, LOL! :razz:

leafhouse

Arachnopeon
thank you all so much for your replies! She's living happily on my porch. Oh, and she is roughly the size of an American quarter when in the position that she is in my picture.