Spider ID

Shel

Arachnopeon
Thanks, fangsalot. That should narrow my search considerably.

Later,

Shel

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This spider is a female, and it reminds me of Misumenoides formosipes, a species that varies widely in coloration and markings. The abdomen is shrunken like that because it probably just laid eggs. Here is more info: http://bugguide.net/node/view/6591

Shel

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all of you for your assistance. It's refreshing to come across a bunch of folks who are not only un-fearful of spiders, but who like them!

Arachnophiles rule!

Shel

Shel

Arachnopeon
Keeping in mind that I know virtually nothing about spider identification, the pictures that I've seen in the links above that look most like my specimen are labeled Thomisus onustus. Note the similar angular shape of the abdomen.

Attachments

davisfam

Arachnoknight
Keeping in mind that I know virtually nothing about spider identification, the pictures that I've seen in the links above that look most like my specimen are labeled Thomisus onustus. Note the similar angular shape of the abdomen.
Honestly, jsloan is probably right on this one because like I said, I don't have much experience with crab spiders although these little gals sure are neat! :p As far as a picture comparison, your guess (T. onustus) looks like a possible ID to me as well. I am sure someone with more experience with this species will pop in with an ID, no worries. I'll be sure to post any information I happen to run across that might prove to be helpful with this gals ID. Take care! :)

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as I know Thomisus onustus is a European species and is not found in the states.

Have you still got the spider in your original photographs? Take a look at its face from the front. Chances are it does not have large "horns" on either side of the face (a characteristic of Thomisus but not Misumenoides.)

Shel

Arachnopeon
As far as I know Thomisus onustus is a European species and is not found in the states.

Have you still got the spider in your original photographs? Take a look at its face from the front. Chances are it does not have large "horns" on either side of the face (a characteristic of Thomisus but not Misumenoides.)
Hi JSloan,

Thanks for your reply; I haven't checked the boards for a while...

After searching for pictures of Misumenoides, and then the common name 'Red banded crab spider', I found this photo. The markings and coloration look very similar to my specimen. Given this and the fact that it's range matches my location, I think you've nailed it, thanks! (I don't still have the spider, I gently moved it to a plant outside the house after I finished taking the pics.)

Thanks again!

Shel

Attachments