spider ID pleeze

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No prob! :)

If you do ever find an actual state-sponsored checklist for Indiana spiders though, please let me know. Most states have one, but I couldn't seem to find it for IN. :? ( hence the other sources )

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you do ever find an actual state-sponsored checklist for Indiana spiders though, please let me know. Most states have one, but I couldn't seem to find it for IN. :? ( hence the other sources )
Now that I think of it I might have one around here somewhere ( ... or was that for Illinois?). If I find it I'll let you know.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Schweet! Glad to be wrong. Good luck finding big momma!

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pictures of the spider's eyes coming tomorrow. Eyes match wolf. Whatever species it is, it has raised some eyebrows. Thanks for all the feedback. I am not an expert on spiders and had never seen carolinensis in the flesh. But here are my sources I use in ID attempts:
Wolf Spiders, Nursery Web Spiders and Lynx Spiders of Canada and Alaska PART 17 FROM INSECTS AND ARACHNIDS OF CANADA (the size of this spider, color of coxae, male being slightly smaller than female all match; range map documents numerous records throughout northeastern US as well)
Emerton's Common Spiders of the United States (size of this spider, color of coxae, male being slightly smaller than female all match).
Moulder's A Guide to the Common Spiders of Illinois (records carolinensis for Illinois)
Cool, informative, website concerning Illinois spiders w/ maps , etc. http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/zoology/spiders/database.html
And personal communication w/ entomologist in Ohio who have vouchers from that state.
Indiana has a checklist online but requires membership and payment to access, no thanks. Post pics tomorrow morning. Sun has gone down, I am going spider hunting.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
final pics of the carolininesis mystery

found one more of these guys, no females, :( also out in droves: helluo, H. georgicola, Rhabidosa punctulata, and some Pardosa / Schizocoza thing-a ma-jigs.

Last edited:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
found one more of these guys, no females, :( also out in droves: helluo, H. georgicola, Rhabidosa punctulata, and some Pardosa / Schizocoza thing-a ma-jigs.
Have you tried some pitfall traps? You might pick up a female that way.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
latest guess on this wolf...Hogna lenta. not carolinensis. but widowman, if you don't want that carolina in the pic, I'll take it...or sell me one!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
latest guess on this wolf...Hogna lenta. not carolinensis. but widowman, if you don't want that carolina in the pic, I'll take it...or sell me one!
ha, he actually passed on his genes with one of my large females and got sent off to do some more work :} sorry...

good luck finding a female though. chances are if you can find her now, she'll be gravid this late in the season.

but i'll say it again, that male is not a caro ;) not sure about lenta- it certainly could be, but if that's what you have predominantly in your area, it's definitely a good/better guess.