Spider ID needed - South Carolina

Vyvyan

Arachnopeon
Came across these two spiders (likely male and female) around the Ashley River in South Carolina near Charleston. Leg patterns seem to correspond with a brown widow, but cannot place the lower body, especially the markings and the bulbous red end. Picture shows large spider (female?) from below - didn't manage to get a shot from above due to the location. Web seems to be a spiral orb web. Does anyone know which spider species this is?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Came across these two spiders (likely male and female) around the Ashley River in South Carolina near Charleston.
Hello, fellow South Carolinian! As I commented on one of your photos, the large one is a golden silk orbweaver (Nephila clavipes), and the tiny one is a male suitor. (It's not uncommon to find several males in the same female's web.)

These spiders are truly gentle giants (unless you're a bug) -- my favorite local species. If you're lucky, she will stay in the same location for weeks. (One year, I had a female living next to our shed for the entire summer and fall.)

Vyvyan

Arachnopeon
Thanks! Not from South Carolina (we were vacationing in Mt. Pleasant) but absolutely loving the Charleston area ....

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thanks! Not from South Carolina (we were vacationing in Mt. Pleasant) but absolutely loving the Charleston area ....
We do have some great spider species (as well as good restaurants and interesting historic sites).