spider ID Hogna georgicola??

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does anyone know much about this spider. What I thought were j/ huge Hogna helluo living in burrows is what I believe to be Hogna georgicola. It's a dark brown wolfy w/ a distinct yellow band down middle of back and dark ring patterns on legs. It's not carolinensis. Locality : central Indiana and there are published records for georgicola in Illinois. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

I am catching H. georgicola here in NC. Ventral abdomen should be orange/rust colored with some speckling/striping. These are also burrowers as you mentioned.

I also find Hogna helluo, but they have a black ventral abdomen and don't seem to have a burrow.

Here is a picture of one of mine and a link to a website for more pics.

http://www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Hogna_georgicola

Last edited:

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that looks like it

thanks for the pic and link. that looks like it i have seen these spiders go down their burrows even when the burrow is completley flooded and have found several out wandering at night i would like to find a carolina wolf but have yet to see a live specimen I have done plenty of herping in NC but the only spiders I came across were widows and fishing spiders do u ever come across Lucanus elaphus stag beetles ?

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
No stag beetles, but I haven't been looking. This summer, I plan on checking out some areas around lights at night. I saw a link in Bugguide where someone found one in Durham, NC, just down the road.

I've got a beetle guide book which describes how to set up for attracting beetles at night. I may go out to some rural fields near forest and try those techniques.

I did find a Fiery Searcher (aka Caterpillar Hunter) beetle under a light last summer. I'd like to get another one of those.

Do you have specific methods for finding large beetles?

I also find the Dolomedes tenebrosus while out looking for spiders at night in the woods.

thanks for the pic and link. that looks like it i have seen these spiders go down their burrows even when the burrow is completley flooded and have found several out wandering at night i would like to find a carolina wolf but have yet to see a live specimen I have done plenty of herping in NC but the only spiders I came across were widows and fishing spiders do u ever come across Lucanus elaphus stag beetles ?