Spider found in Fort Bragg CA

jrlh84

Arachnopeon
So the family was doing a little spring cleaning up in Fort Bragg, CA and came across a spider that had made her home in a web under a picnic table outside. They boxed it up and left the 2 eggsack she had there :mad: . She is an absolutely incredible looking specimen with a body length of nearly an inch and probably about a 2 inch legspan. She has a fuzzy grey abdomen and a rusty red thorax and legs that fades into black around the head and fangs and the tips of the legs. I will try to aquire a digital camera and post pictures tonight. I'm alowing her to settle in her new home for a while before I disturb her again. Any idea of what she may be? The best description I can give is that she looks like a very large Dysdera Crocata with slightly different colors that I posted above. She is fast and very intimidating though not incredibly defensive. Such a shame that the eggsacks were not aquired as she is one badass spider. I would have liked to spread the love around here.

Last edited:

jrlh84

Arachnopeon
Here are the best pics I could get with the camera I had

Isn't she beautiful?

Erigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think Amaurobiidae.. maybe callobius but i'm not sure..

jrlh84

Arachnopeon
I do think it is from the family Amarobiidae after some research. That helped a ton, Thanks a lot.