Spider field trip!

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm taking my female Grammostola rosea to my school wednesday, and i need some opinions on what cage to use, and if it will flip out and explode, or something like that. i have one of those little cylinder bug cages, around 9 in long, and 6 in diameter. should i use that? the reason i'm bringing her is that my science teacher is big on tarantulas, and has been dying to see her. him, and the rest of my classmates. i've heard of spiders as officew pets, and our classes aren't too big, so she should be fine... right? Thx, in advance!

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am not sure what the cylinder you're talking about looks like...but I would think that any sort of small container (small KK perhaps) would work fine. Make sure you have something to capture it with if you wanna take it out. It shouldn't "flip out and explode"...although some G. rosea's have attitude problems. Also make sure she doesn't get bounced around on the ride to school (taking the school bus might not be a good idea for that reason). But other than that you should be fine.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've taken a T and a scorpion from and to school a couple of times. They all came and went fine. The key is to keep stress low. The T will be stressed no doubt about that, but try to keep it low. THe way I did it was taking it out for a minimal amount of time and a minimal number of times. Take it in a container that isn't see through. That will lower stress quite a bit. Good luck.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the bug cage. i know you';ve seen one b4; they are pretty common.

lol, note AB on the screen behind it. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I still think that you should go with a non see-through container.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
I'd suggest a simple run of the mill critter keeper. Because if the tube is tha same I'm familiar with, the t can get its foot claws caught in the mesh, a determined t can chew through it, and if you have a bunch of people crowding in to look at it. Their breathing would stress the t out.

You could put it in a box or bag to keep things opaque until ready for display.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Part of the reason I prefer KKs is because I occasionally bring my spiders places.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a determined t can chew through it.
They can chew through things? Damn, these guys amaze me more and more every day. What kind of materials, exactly, have they been known to chew through? I've had a loose spider once, I'd like to avoid it happening again haha.

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
They can chew through things? Damn, these guys amaze me more and more every day. What kind of materials, exactly, have they been known to chew through? I've had a loose spider once, I'd like to avoid it happening again haha.
I have heard of some T's chewing through deli cups, KK tops, and really big T's even chewing through some type of wire mesh lid.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did this while I was in highschool when I was giving a lecture to biology classes per request of my teacher. What I did was haul the 10 gallon tank and all her accessories with me. During the transport itself, I placed my rosie in a kritter keeper. I did this early in the morning so she could destress before I gave the lecture.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A rosie could chew through a nylon screen, but probably not a metal one. That said, she could get her claws stuck in the mesh. In a kritter keeper, you'd have the added benefit of including some substrate. I agree on the transport not being see-thru. You'll want the container to be see-thru for display during class, so you could always carry the clear critter keeper in a brown paper bag during transport to reduce stress.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, i'll go grab a KK, and i'll see if i can, like, get a non-see-through one, if i can. now, KKs, those are the big square plastic ones, with the lines cut into the top of it? Know what i mean? sum1 plz post a pic... :)

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally i'd try and make sure whatever I used had a lock on it...that or make sure it's never out of sight.

~Fred

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yeah, that's what i was thinking of. i'm sure i have one somewhere, but i'm at school, now, and will check when i get home. thx, guys. i'll tape paper to the sides to cover it up. thx, guys!