Sphagnum moss ? Dry or not ?

Ayuminell

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone ! Ive been reading these boards a lot since i joined earlier this week, and i have a question about sphagnum moss. I have some in my T. Albo enclosure because i've seen some people (like Tom Moran) used it, although im not sure why (i guess for looks ? Humidity level ?).
The moss i have is dry, and i read someone saying that tarentulas hated walking on dry moss (because their leg spikes could get tangled in it). I havent noticed this for my T (ive seen her walking on it just fine) but please let me know if i'm wrong !

Thanks for the answers :D

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone ! Ive been reading these boards a lot since i joined earlier this week, and i have a question about sphagnum moss. I have some in my T. Albo enclosure because i've seen some people (like Tom Moran) used it, although im not sure why (i guess for looks ? Humidity level ?).
The moss i have is dry, and i read someone saying that tarentulas hated walking on dry moss (because their leg spikes could get tangled in it). I havent noticed this for my T (ive seen her walking on it just fine) but please let me know if i'm wrong !

people usually put moist moss for moisture dependant species
i have put dry moss in some spiders enclosure before and honestly have no idea if their hairs really tangle in it,,,,i feel like dry and moist moss look the same and feel the same (except one is wet) but i could be wrong

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
I just sprinkle it about for a bit of decoration and for the T to use it to build their burrow if they wish (sometimes they do, sometimes not) .
I haven't noticed my T's to dislike it, but i just use a sprinkle and not a full on carpet

magouilles

Arachnoknight
I just sprinkle it about for a bit of decoration and for the T to use it to build their burrow if they wish (sometimes they do, sometimes not) .
I haven't noticed my T's to dislike it, but i just use a sprinkle and not a full on carpet
same here
i feel like it adds more texture and color instead of only putting dry leaves and substrate

Dorifto

He who moists xD

Live moss no issues, with dried one, at least the one I had, my pulchra hate it, and had some tiny pieces stuck, enough to make her kick her legs. This some years ago.

Obviously the T isn't going to convert in a moss ball 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I had to admit that I was new in the hobby, and it was not a bit of moss... 🤣🤣🤣

magouilles

Arachnoknight
Live moss no issues, with dried one, at least the one I had, my pulchra hate it, and had some tiny pieces stuck, enough to make her kick her legs. This some years ago.

Obviously the T isn't going to convert in a moss ball 🤣🤣🤣🤣
my pulchra ALWAYS hangs out in her dry moss spot she loves it

Ayuminell

Arachnopeon
Thanks a lot for the answers, yeah mine is just a bit too and doesnt seem to bother her for now

Dorifto

He who moists xD
my pulchra ALWAYS hangs out in her dry moss spot she loves it
Pulchras are weird... They come from a humid environment and prefer drier substrates... Hahahahahaha.

I had to say that mine sat a lot last year in a piece of dried live moss. That's why I stated that with live moss no issues. But with the first bag I had... She reminded me when you put a boot in a dog leg 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
Its stressed... :troll:

I'm joking 🤣🤣🤣 mine look more fiberish? Maybe that was the issue.
I'm not sure what type it is, some kind of branded dried stuff... I imagine that live moss isn't fluffy so it's not as likely to get caught up and annoy the T.

I've seen my T albo spiderling ripping the dry moss up and webbing it into the entrance of his burrow, they have such good dexterity!

Dorifto

He who moists xD

Forget to answer you some questions 😅 it's not specifically the moss, it's could be any loose substrate. If it's well compacted it shouldn't be any issues.

Without looking to the video, it could be to provide some moisture to the enclosure, as sphagnum moss keeps twice as much water than coco fiber. T. Albopilosum thanks a bit of moisture.

greeneyedelle

Arachnoknight
MOSS: Personal experience? For slings, yes, for juvies and adults, no.
Dry or damp, but not wet - All my small slings in vial drams love moss. It's easy to burrow in and shape how they want, easy to web and anchor to the walls, and easy for me to remove when they need to rehouse. BUT if it gets totally saturated and can't dry out, my slings hate it. I have a h. pulchripes and a n. coloratovillosus who that happened to, both refused to come off the walls unless disturbed, but as soon as I replaced the wet moss with dry, they immediately burrowed and went back to "normal" behavior: Being total psychos.
G. pulchra juvie LOATHES moss in any way, shape, or form, and will move it all over the enclosure to get it out of her way. I've witnessed her toes getting caught on it when hunting. My c. darlingi will just web it into a useless ball and bury it in substrate, no matter what.
I haven't even tried with my g. porteri, because she webs even substrate into dry, flat, smooth submission, and I think she'd riot if I tried to give her moss.
So, mixed reviews here. But undeniably, it's great for moisture retention in an enclosure where you need more than a water dish and substrate can provide! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

They don’t get stuck on moss. At best it slows them down, like putting them on long fiber carpet can do this.

most people use moss for decorating, and even more don’t even know how to keep it green, so the moss goes dormant or dies.