Sperm web fail

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone had experience with a mature male T attempting to use a sperm web, but failing to load up his bulbs?

I have a male B. albopilosum that matured almost a month ago and I saw him in the process of making a sperm web. Out of curiosity, I watched the entire process. First, he made the hammock shaped tent. Then he attempted to crawl underneath it, but in the process, he became entangled and ended up destroying the whole thing when he tried to free himself.

Later that day I saw another destroyed sperm web and I'm not sure if this time he was successful or not. He hasn't begun to act like he's ready to mate (no drumming or wanderlust), so maybe I have to wait for him to get it right?

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone had experience with a mature male T attempting to use a sperm web, but failing to load up his bulbs?

I have a male B. albopilosum that matured almost a month ago and I saw him in the process of making a sperm web. Out of curiosity, I watched the entire process. First, he made the hammock shaped tent. Then he attempted to crawl underneath it, but in the process, he became entangled and ended up destroying the whole thing when he tried to free himself.

Later that day I saw another destroyed sperm web and I'm not sure if this time he was successful or not. He hasn't begun to act like he's ready to mate (no drumming or wanderlust), so maybe I have to wait for him to get it right?
Yes. My Mature male Brachypelma vagans had multiple failures. I too watched and I was thinking "Idiot" He would make sperm web and it was not constructed well. Than trying to get under it would fail. Or would get somewhat entangled in it. After several attemps he would tear it down. Than make another one (at a much later time sometimes days later) and the same thing happened.
It took several attempts (and a long time after maturing) before he got it right and once he did, he never failed again.
Practice makes perfect.....even with tarantulas.:D

Lorum

Arachnosquire
Yes. My Mature male Brachypelma vagans had multiple failures. I too watched and I was thinking "Idiot"
Maybe you didn't provide proper surfaces for him to make a sperm web, don't you think so? I would think he failed due to environmental limitations rather than think he is an "idiot". But maybe we will never know, their failures could have been produced for different factors.

Also, is interesting that you mention "practice" was useful for him. I have been told by some breeders that males who have succesfully mated, will "do their thing" more efficiently in future mating attempts.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Maybe you didn't provide proper surfaces for him to make a sperm web, don't you think so? I would think he failed due to environmental limitations rather than think he is an "idiot". But maybe we will never know, their failures could have been produced for different factors.
Nope, Webs had no problem sticking to surfaces. It was the structure that was faulty.