Species you'd love to see in the hobby

ickyinvertebrate

Arachnopeon
Let's say we could bring in any species without all the drab stuff that goes with it (illegal collecting, smuggling, wild population dwindling etc etc): what species or genera that aren't currently (or barely) available would you personally be most thrilled to see? What species have been in the hobby but disappeared that you want to see back again?

For me, I'd love it if we could have more Typhochlaena, especially the T. costae. They look like little punks, in the best way. Also more of the rarer Cyriocosmus, and the oddball Hysterocrates elephantiasis would be fun.
ceratogyrus attonitifer - ive been told its false and some people say its been collected/studied im not 100% sure but im in luv with them!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'd love to see more Chilean species, especially more Phrixotrichus and Euathlus species. Legally of course.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
  1. Idiothele sp Inhambane
  2. Chilobrachys jonitriantisvansickleae
  3. Stromatopelma satanas
  4. Heteroscodra crassipes
Those bottom three are the ultimate list IMO. Want to take a trip to Africa with me and knock out two of them? Decent chance we will die.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Those bottom three are the ultimate list IMO. Want to take a trip to Africa with me and knock out two of them? Decent chance we will die.
1, 3, and 4 are African, with 1 probably being the easiest as it's not in/around a current conflict zone.

corydalis

Arachnoknight

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
This is new to me. What species would that be?

Unless you mean obligate "man cave"-dwelling tarantulas, of which I believe I myself have quite a few of, downstairs in my own personal "man" cave...
The most well-known cave tarantulas are the species occurring in Mexico of the genus Hemirrhagus, which have reduced or absent eyes as well as other adaptations unique to cave life, which make them very unique among the tarantulas. Although these species are found in a cave system in Mexico, Mexican breeders are working on the captive breeding of at least one species so they might not necessarily be obligate cave-dwellers. I wish I had a reference to point back to on the captive breeding, but I saw it on a Facebook page of the Mexican taxonomist who revised the genus. They might be coming to the global pet trade at some point in the near future.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
The most well-known cave tarantulas are the species occurring in Mexico of the genus Hemirrhagus, which have reduced or absent eyes as well as other adaptations unique to cave life, which make them very unique among the tarantulas. Although these species are found in a cave system in Mexico, Mexican breeders are working on the captive breeding of at least one species so they might not necessarily be obligate cave-dwellers. I wish I had a reference to point back to on the captive breeding, but I saw it on a Facebook page of the Mexican taxonomist who revised the genus. They might be coming to the global pet trade at some point in the near future.
Wow, I had no idea! Very interesting. Excuse me while I go read every paper I can find on these.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Yep, those were the ones I meant.

Spinnenfritzi

Arachnopeon
Bistriopelma lamasi

I dont know if it technically is in the hobby or not..
But i find no trace of them beeing kept or bred in Europe

Terrovax

Arachnopeon
Encyocrates raffrayi. A large black species from Madagascar that is known to (not exclusively) live in caves. Some photos seem to give them a slight purplish sheen to them. They are very leggy which is a typical feature seen in many cave-dwelling spiders.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Harpactira gigas

The Eupalaestrus species that isn’t campestratus

Any heterothele species I may not know about.

the other Eucratoscelus species.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
The real Grammostola pulchra would be nice.
That would be nice.

I wonder if they truly exist anymore. Perhaps in small pockets. But I think there has been a lot of cross contamination with G. quirogai. Are there other species in their range that could mate with them that would also dilute the pure pulchra gene pool?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
That would be nice.

I wonder if they truly exist anymore. Perhaps in small pockets. But I think there has been a lot of cross contamination with G. quirogai. Are there other species in their range that could mate with them that would also dilute the pure pulchra gene pool?
Two points in response.

1. To my knowledge, Grammostola quirogai has not been confirmed to be present in the U.S. hobby.
2. No one has proven that Grammostola pulchra can produce fertile hybrid offspring with any other species.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Two points in response.

1. To my knowledge, Grammostola quirogai has not been confirmed to be present in the U.S. hobby.
2. No one has proven that Grammostola pulchra can produce fertile hybrid offspring with any other species.
So what were you referring to when you said you said “the real Grammostola pulchra would be nice.”?