special locusts for tarantulas?

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A friend of mine is coming to visit me. He's spent a few days in the countryside. He told me that they have some special locusts that are fed rice husks and kept without chemicals. Apparently, they are a delicacy for the people there. I figure if they are safe for people to eat, then they should also be safe for T's to eat. Maybe I'll even try to breed them. I'll take some pics when I get them.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the past I made two tentatives to give locusts to my adult female B. smithi and to the even bigger adult female N. chromatus. Both they were freaked out despite they got used to eat big insects like madagascar roaches.

I suppose that spines in hind legs and big mobility besides the size where negative factors for the spiders to see them as a suitable food. I don't know what would be the result if I had insisted on giving them exclusively this kind of food, but I didn't want to risk on this.

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
welll if their powerful legs are a problem, then off with the legs! :D Id love to try some myself lol.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Locusts are available from petstores over here and are much easier to feed than crickets when it comes to larger Ts. I've never had an issue with a T refusing one yet.

On a side note, I think they're much nicer looking than crix :D.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd catch the ones around the creek here but problem is, I don't know what species are toxic. Someone told me lubberheads were toxic.

I'd love to get safe-to-eat grasshoppers or locusts if they were sold but I can't find any in the states. :(

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These locusts are slightly larger than cricket size and the spiders seem to be mad for them.