Soo it's just a rosea?

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Reading on some of the previous posts on rosea color forms and am under the impression that a "rcf" is just a true rosea, and not so much a color form? Where as the normal is the porteri. Basically saying red color form is just saying it's a true rosea?

All this stems from trying to figure out which mine would be considered. Sold as a rcf however that carapace is really copper. I also think these pictures actually make the coloring look more dull than it is.

Attachments

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Reaaaaally. Wasnt expecting that as I have a porteri and was under the impression they're grey/brown. I wasn't aware a porteri can have such color. Neato.

What makes it a porteri vs rosea then?

(Ps I'm not bein a douchebag. I'm really asking, I know things can be taken all kinds of ways on here)

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Haha the more I research the more I realise these are very hard to answer difinitively.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Reaaaaally. Wasnt expecting that as I have a porteri and was under the impression they're grey/brown. I wasn't aware a porteri can have such color. Neato.

(Ps I'm not bein a douchebag. I'm really asking, I know things can be taken all kinds of ways on here)
haha its likely your other "porteri" is something else. rosea have reddish hairs all over them, just google a few pics and you'll see.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Legit, every time I think I know a little something about each of my 13 I realise I do not know as much as I think I do lmao. At least I will NEVER get bored! Here's the porteri

Attachments

MeAndMyRosie

Arachnopeon
Be glad you don't have a rosea.. they are more moody than the porteri. It goes along with that saying, "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get"... but in this case you never know what mood your gonna get day to day.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
Oh I think in this case it is you never know what your gunna get lmao. Bought 4 Ts for 100 bucks not caring too much if the species I was told was correct except for what I knew was being sold correctly (female b. Smithi) and out of the 4 I only know for certain what two are (smithi and murinus) the others, the sold as a rcf rosea and unknown completely has turned out to be a possible hybrid. Good lord.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't know that looks like a rosea to me.. Can you get a better pic from above and in lighting that shows off her colors as close to natural as you see them..

Porteri have a purple/grayish carapace..

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Pictures in post #1 are G. porteri, pictures in post #6 are not. most likely G. sp northern gold but not sure. Porteri even in need of a molt will in the right light have a blue/grey color to the femurs the second pic doesn't show that at all. you can usually see this with a flashlight pointed at different angles. here are 3 of the 7 porteri I have. 2015-08-30 14.32.54.jpg 2015-09-14 14.30.07.jpg 2016-06-18 14.36.39.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Reading on some of the previous posts on rosea color forms and am under the impression that a "rcf" is just a true rosea, and not so much a color form? Where as the normal is the porteri. Basically saying red color form is just saying it's a true rosea?

All this stems from trying to figure out which mine would be considered. Sold as a rcf however that carapace is really copper. I also think these pictures actually make the coloring look more dull than it is.

You appear in your op to have a proper understanding.

All your pics look like porteri.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think IDing Avics in general with a pic or two is flatout foolish. I think the same thing is true of many of the "Rose Hairs" variants that people ask to ID. There are so many variables when it comes to a digital image, and this is not taking into account the stage in the molt cycle the T is in, its age or gender.

I just don't get it.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your second porteri doesn't have much color cause it looks like it hasn't molted in a very long time. Their colors get more drab the later into their molt cycle they are.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
What a very informative thread. So glad I asked!
Your second porteri doesn't have much color cause it looks like it hasn't molted in a very long time. Their colors get more drab the later into their molt cycle they are.
Believe it or not that was right after a molt.