Sometimes Flowers are Deadly

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This year I have started Nathaly a flower garden with an emphasis on flowers that will attract butterflies. Next year will be better but I am already getting a few visitors. Not just butterflies but those who eat butterflies!!

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice! I've never seen a wild mantis (in person, that is).

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What a cool picture. You can really see how they use their natural color and body shape to blend in. I haven't seen one that big around here in quite a while. Beautiful but deadly indeed.

Chrysopid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is it a Californian Mantid, Stagmomantis californica?
I am having such a hard time with Mantid species!
That is a beautiful picture, thanks for sharing. If you have time could you maybe tell us what kind of flowers you've had most luck with attracting butterflies? I would like to start one next year! Hopefully I can attract some Mantids, too!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
its a female
;)
Yep its a girl :D

That is a beautiful picture, thanks for sharing. If you have time could you maybe tell us what kind of flowers you've had most luck with attracting butterflies? I would like to start one next year! Hopefully I can attract some Mantids, too!
Its the Carolina Mantid. I cant remember the scientific name but I am sure someone here will know it

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The flowers in the picture are Asclepias tuberosa aka butterfly weed. There are many Asclepias and they are all attractive to butterflies and as the name says they are weeds, so they grow and spread like weeds (at least here in Southern California){D