Something appeared in my T. Albo's enclosure

cayen

Arachnopeon
Some white thing appeared in my T. Albo enclosure tonight and I am not sure what it is. The enclosure is moist, but I always monitor it and very certain there is no molds inside. The white stuff was not in there earlier in the morning and probably only appeared tonight, and the tarantula does not seem to br bothered by it. I thought it was fungi, but upon closer inspection I started to have doubts regarding what it is. Any idea about ehat this thing is?

Attachments

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Fungus. Common with coco-fiber that is kept consistently moist. Let it dry out and it should go away.

cayen

Arachnopeon
Fungus. Common with coco-fiber that is kept consistently moist. Let it dry out and it should go away.
Oh that is weird. I checked my P. Murinus as well last night and it also has those white balls in her enclosure, as well as not only on the substrate, but also on her webbings.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
It's mould as NMTs says dry it out n hopefully it will go away but usually I just put a cup over the t in their enclosure so there is no bolting n dig out n replace what is mouldy , might not be possible with the obt though obviously as they web n I don't keep ow so can not give advice on them sorry, but should be np with the albo 😊 gl hope it goes away 🤞

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Oh that is weird. I checked my P. Murinus as well last night and it also has those white balls in her enclosure, as well as not only on the substrate, but also on her webbings.
It seems to only happen with certain batches of coco coir - some you can keep very wet constantly and never have an issue, but a different batch of the stuff only needs to get slightly damp for a short time and this fungus appears literally overnight. It will typically dry up if you're able to let the enclosure dry out for a while, but I've found that mixing in a substrate that contains clay and sand helps prevent it, too.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
It seems to only happen with certain batches of coco coir - some you can keep very wet constantly and never have an issue, but a different batch of the stuff only needs to get slightly damp for a short time and this fungus appears literally overnight. It will typically dry up if you're able to let the enclosure dry out for a while, but I've found that mixing in a substrate that contains clay and sand helps prevent it, too.
I have had this problem not just with coco fiber but also with every sub I have bought from a shop in the uk called the spider shop. They do specific subs for different spoods arid earth burrowing ect but they all as soon as they get damp grow mushrooms of the magic varieties 🤣 soon as I realised I stopped buying it n changed the sub of every spider on it. I have had it happen with a sphagnum moss I got from swells reptile recently too any viv that I put that moss in now has mushrooms n all need redone with non tainted moss n now sub 😑

cayen

Arachnopeon
I see. It has been 2 months, and this fungus only appeared last night. It might be because my place is approaching the rainy season, thus raising the humidity of my enclosures. I have another P. Murinus enclosure with a very rare substrate from the same coco coir, and the fungus did not appear. Would you say I should remove the fungus, or let it be in the enclosure. There's also some of the fungus on the web, and I do not know if I should even bother removing that part.

I also have a spare bag of sand for scorpions, should I mix it with my coco peat?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
You could leave it but personally I would atleast remove the web with it on for fear of the t accidentally ingesting it but I am an over protective t mummy n each to their own.
Yes you can mix sand in I also use top soil atm, just make sure it has nothing in it ie chemicals fertiliser ect . You'll find a mix you like as you try different subs. Have fun experimenting 😊