Some usumbara pics.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
And another. These pics were taken on a whim during a feeding a couple nights ago. I just flicked on Tamara's desk lamp and snapped a couple shots.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cool pics Dave,
The first one looks like the T's walking on a puff of smoke.
Really trippy. Like a 25 trip I took in the early 70's

Ern

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Hehehehe. Yeah, I like the look of that pic too. One of the big selling points for me on Usumbaras is the masses of webbing they lay down.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice looking 'Baras Dave!
It's going to be fun the day you have to clean the enclosure with all that insane webbing.

Atrax

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Atrax
It's going to be fun the day you have to clean the enclosure with all that insane webbing.
But not as bad as a well webbed up Avic or GBB container - embedded urticating hairs make it whole different kind of chore :)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have a very good point there Chip. Pampho web is pretty fun to get into barehanded, no? Haven't yet had to do a cleaning with a GBB big enough to matter....yet. The day is coming though. My GBB is growing like a weed so...

Atrax

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I wish mine would do web like that. She just puts a little bit around wherever she is hanging out...

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pertiful pics. :)
Thanks for sharing.
Our orange demon has done Some webbing but nothing really massive.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
How long have those without much webbing left their spiders undisturbed for? The adults have been in their enclosures for almost a year now without me destroying their webbing. I will use long forceps to carefuly pluck moults etc. from their enclosures. Also, I start with fairly bare enclosures. About 2" of peat, a water dish and a peat cup hide. They all started out hiding in the peat cup (well, half peat cup) and then the webbing starts. It took them a couple months to get a bit of a matt down and then from there it just seems to explode overnight. Another key might be the size of the enclosures. They are fairly small and I gather they understand that the whole space is their burrow. Thus, they usualy create this extensive network of hiding spots and tunnels.

Cheers,
Dave

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
How long have those without much webbing left their spiders undisturbed for? The adults have been in their enclosures for almost a year now without me destroying their webbing. I will use long forceps to carefuly pluck moults etc. from their enclosures. Also, I start with fairly bare enclosures. About 2" of peat, a water dish and a peat cup hide. They all started out hiding in the peat cup (well, half peat cup) and then the webbing starts. It took them a couple months to get a bit of a matt down and then from there it just seems to explode overnight. Another key might be the size of the enclosures. They are fairly small and I gather they understand that the whole space is their burrow. Thus, they usualy create this extensive network of hiding spots and tunnels.

Cheers,
Dave
cool if i see one of them im so getting it! they look like very interesting T.s i love watching nova move her substrate and web, by the looks of it they spend days doing it lol keep me amused for a while :D

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Good info...mine has been disturbed a couple times recently. I'll TRY to leave her alone and hopefully she'll start up with the webbing...

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I have a chance to get a few Usambara babies at the next show.
These pictures have helped me make my final choices as to what
I will be adding to our little collection. :)

I think I will get a few of these guys, that's pretty impressive
webbing. And I also like critters with attitude. With these T's
you get both:D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Mine seems to have a problem getting the webbing to stick to the top of the container. (They're Rubbermaid.) So, she has a lovely mat going on, and some tunneling into her "half pipe" hidey-hole. It's funny to watch her stick her butt to the top of the enclosure repeatedly trying to stick the web on. I really need to put something up there for her to secure it on. Velcro!?!?!?!?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
MizM,

You could hot-glue some fibreglass mesh on there. The webbing really gets fun when they can use the roof. And if the lids are flexible enough, you can just pop up one corner or another to do things without disturbing the webbing.

Cheers,
Dave

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Great idea. Thanks! Gee, she'll soon have so much webbing, I won't be able to see her! Oh well, as long as SHE'S happy!:D

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
Here's a pic of my 1" Usumbara's webbing. There is a hide in there somewhere....I believe it's covered with dirt and webbing. It was feeding time, which is the explanation for the cricket. I think it's going to be fun trying to move her when she outgrows that container.

Leanne