some results from a trip to california

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
john, you think the paloma are bad... wait till u see A. joshua. they act way more tough than the paloma! its a really cool spider. i hope you and i can get out there this summer.

-josh

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that spider is not mojave, its one of those iodius things.
whoops.

i think the C. theveneti are the most cranky. i almost got bit. the dang thing did a verticle jump and almost got me when it was throwing a fit. i was NOT expecting that! it jumps funky, too... it sorta slaps the ground with I+II's and they launch it up, it seems like

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whoops.

i think the C. theveneti are the most cranky. i almost got bit. the dang thing did a verticle jump and almost got me when it was throwing a fit. i was NOT expecting that! it jumps funky, too... it sorta slaps the ground with I+II's and they launch it up, it seems like

yeah, ive seen them do that. its very strange.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you know... i am thinking that the biggest C.thev we got are probably sexually mature but probably not maximum size

also... they seem different from the magic canoe pics for some reason. i need to have the spiders and the MC pics infront of me to really put my finger on it though

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, its hard to judge anything from a pic. i do agree with you tho. good eye my friend

macjizzle

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
where in california did you guys take your trip to? if it's within an hour, at most two hours, of LA I would definitely want to go there myself.

ralliart

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I saw those fangs, first thing that came into my mind was "Cacoseraph" :} But I was surprised since I saw that you were already handling it. Those fangs looks terrifying! Great find!

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
This is the summer for captive bred U.S.A. natives and dwarves

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow!

I've never even heard of some of these. I"ve led such a sheltered life! These are some seriously cool T's, and I think people will be excited to see what's living right under their noses. (adding to wish list right now)

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
We will be breeding these beasties very soon here. Josh was on the money on the colors of the calisogas. A camera does not even do them justice awsome looking lil mothers. Agressive....man they make an OBT look like a rosie. I now have an extra set of holes in my finger. The fattest one turned around and grabbed my finger before I could even think, had to remain still till it let go . I did not want to sling the lil beast.
Heh Heh Josh I suppose we now have a bit more in common

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
where in california did you guys take your trip to? if it's within an hour, at most two hours, of LA I would definitely want to go there myself.
the C. theveneti come from Mariposa county

the C. longitarus came from er, Contra Costa county but can be found in most of mid and north CA and probably parts of Oregon and maybe er... Nevada. whatever state shares Lake Tahoe with CA

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
should probly send locality info through PM's andrew. naughty naughty :embarrassed: either way, good luck finding them and digging them out. so far, C. theveneti are the most difficult spider to find and dig out. it was the biggest pain in the butt! thats on top of actually locating burrows as they leave NO clue as to whether its an actual burrow or just a randon hole in the ground.

scolex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you next time let me know your in town!

I just want to thank you for all the pics and info here! The reason is it came to me that I know more about T's from South America, Then I do in North America! What the Hell???? I need one calisoga longitarsus that is just mind blowing! Thank you again, now that you got me looking in my backyard! :D

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
There is a lot of stuff here in the U.S.A. that we even have not seen yet.
The calisoga will be bred this summer and captive babies will be available so cheep that wild collecting will not be needed. That is a goal here among a few of us.:cool:
lacalities should never be given out, unless your collecting non-indigeneous crap

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm sorry but i just can't agree with not helping anybody out at all with localities

we don't own the spiders (except the ones we grabbed) and we don't own the info

besides... honestly... the C. theveneti are so rotten to find and get out of the ground that they are in no danger of over collection. the density in teh areas we were at and the amount of similar microhab (most of which is behind fences in which good-ol-boys with guns patrol and shoot anything that moves) indicates the species is in NO risk

plus, real scientific papers and sites give freaking collection coords... and usually supplement said coords with directions to make sure other ppl can find the same spot

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm sorry but i just can't agree with not helping anybody out at all with localities

we don't own the spiders (except the ones we grabbed) and we don't own the info

besides... honestly... the C. theveneti are so rotten to find and get out of the ground that they are in no danger of over collection. the density in teh areas we were at and the amount of similar microhab (most of which is behind fences in which good-ol-boys with guns patrol and shoot anything that moves) indicates the species is in NO risk

plus, real scientific papers and sites give freaking collection coords... and usually supplement said coords with directions to make sure other ppl can find the same spot
andrew has a very good point here, but we did take the time do do the research to find the info. we didnt get it for free. we worked for it and then went out and learned how to find them. i say let others do the same as it makes it more rewarding and worth it instead of just being handed to you.

it has taken me 12 or so years to get back out there and actually give these guys an honest crack. ive done my research and put in the time. it is much more rewarding that way. the same goes with all my dwarf aphonopelma. i find the information and do the field time. and you know what ive noticed over the past few years?? many species and populations are gradually becomming harder to find. way too many rocks have been flipped in areas ive never even been to previously. this is all we are tryng to avoid andrew. i dont know how it is in california, but it is really bad here.

think about B. californicum, you guys guard B. californicum populations for the same reason.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
andrew has a very good point here, but we did take the time do do the research to find the info. we didnt get it for free. we worked for it and then went out and learned how to find them. i say let others do the same as it makes it more rewarding and worth it instead of just being handed to you.

it has taken me 12 or so years to get back out there and actually give these guys an honest crack. ive done my research and put in the time. it is much more rewarding that way. the same goes with all my dwarf aphonopelma. i find the information and do the field time. and you know what ive noticed over the past few years?? many species and populations are gradually becomming harder to find. way too many rocks have been flipped in areas ive never even been to previously. this is all we are tryng to avoid andrew. i dont know how it is in california, but it is really bad here.

think about B. californicum, you guys guard B. californicum populations for the same reason.
This is the very same reason that I will not tell anyone where I find pursewebs. Or what areas are the some folding door spiders. Think about it mygals do not recover as fast from collecting as do true spiders.Over the years I have sent pursewebs out to two people and that was for people who truly love the specie
If they want do the work, fight the mosquitos and the blackflies, no-see-ums or whatever.
There are reasons for my way of thinking:cool:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
look, i'm not saying you have to give your coords out. i am not inclined to give mine out to just anybody either. but this big secrecy thing? going to turn ppl off, big time.

but not wanting me to tell what county something came from? nah... i'll continue to proudly do so

i will also continue to make my dot range maps that you can find in the scabies gallery. those go down to maybe 50-100 miles of accuracy. maybe 25. but i am not that great and transfering coords to the maps yet and sometimes all i have are city names to work with

also, i suspect the areas that are over collected have NOTHING to do with people exchanging information about collecting coords for inverts. i suspect they are fairly easy access areas that just about anyone with a day's interest in inverts can figure out should have some good bugs there. AZ is diff than CA in that there is a much smaller availability of good microhabit. i also rather suspect that it is actually dbag herp people that are messing things up. i mean, come on guys... this is the most popular bug site in the world and we get pathetic responses to the native stuff. if the native bug species are being collected up what is happening to them? they sure as hell aren't available for purchase... i have looked! so is some giggling guy sitting in his lving room surrounded by 1800 Sphrodos vivs? no... i think for the most part habitat is being developed and for a small part jerk herpers are ruining it and a absolutely miniscule portion is being dinged by clumsy bug hunters. if this is true then we need to either protect the habitat from being developed... or collect enough bugs to get a decent extremely long term breeding pool in the hobby. how do we do that? well, josh and scabies have collected.... erm about 14 C. theveneti so far. i'd say we are a FAR cry from having enough for a solid breeding pool. what if we collected mostly retards? or some kinda nasty recessive is lurking that we are going reinforce and express out in the next couple few generations? or hell... what if we just plain suck at breeding them and only get one or zero sacks. breeding will grind to a halt. i say what we need to do is find good ppl who are in mariposa are close to it and have them go collect for us.

actually i modify my invert ppl aren't hurting much of anythign statement. arachnid and chilopoda ppl don't hurt much of anything. the little i know about some of the other inverts is a bit worrying, actually

also, we need to be sellign the hell out of our native species, not being all reclusive and snarky about them!

also, regarding the C. theveneti specifically... i mean, lets be honest. we were road cutting... that is NOT their natural habitat!

don't get me wrong. i have no intention of sending WC out to just random anybodys, if i do send any out at all... i intend to breed the spiders i collected and make the offspring available. i would like to see the massive WC importation of flash new species of exotic inverts way reduced and one way i see doign that is to make the most intersting of the native US species available as affordably priced CH/CBB

whew, i better post or i am going to bounce of 2500 char limit =P