Some pics from The Reptile Store

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I was at The Reptile Store in Hamilton, ON yesterday and took some pics. First up, a curious argus monitor.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
The same beast on the floor. That is my size 10 to the left of the picture. The store owner, Paul, is the guy holding the tail.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
big sucker!
is that a full grown one? how is their temperment?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Look at that suckers claws!!
Are they suppost to get trimmed?
They look 2" long.:eek:

Ern

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, the boards took a break so I went to sleep. Here are the rest of the pics. He's looking at you!

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
A beautiful little critter. Tamara made me take a close-up of this guy -- putting my knuckles in grave personal danger.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
And last, but not least, yours truly along with store employee and AB member Marc (marcus-sparkus).

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Holley,

Definitely full-grown. The thing is an absolute monster -- I can't quite fit my hand around the base of his tail. Temperment-wise it is something of a monster -- though I didn't see it ever try to bite -- mostly squirming, tail-whipping and hissing.

Ernie,

Usually a good substrate will keep the claws in check. Those are maybe a little out-of-control but I don't think they are really that keen on trimming them at the store (due to the lizard's temperment). They only got him in a week ago so we'll see.

Cheers,
Dave

Marc_C

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some talk has actually gone on about trimming the Argus' claws. We are going to let him settle in for a bit then worry about figuring out how to go about doing it. He is very squirmy, as Dave said.

Dave,
could you post or send me the pic with the larger alligator snapper? I would like to send it to a friend who is interested in getting one, but doesnt want a turtle that gets too big...lol

Marc

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
nice photos dave
also thats one nice looking monitor

john

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Hello
Trimming the monitor's claws is as easy as pie.
Here is how I do it.
Take the lizard to a small room or corner ( I do it in the bathroom), and place on the floor. Drop a towel over its head. Loosely wrap the lizard's head in the towel.
That's it for my lizards, who are used to the routine. They bob and nudge around, looking for a way out of the towel...meanwhile, I am gently lifting each foot and clipping away. If they pull a foot away, I NEVER hold fast, this will make them feel caught. I just let them take a step, then pick up the foot again.
They are not unduly stressed, and I am in no danger of being bitten.

If I'm doing an animal who objects to this, I will wrap the head a little better, and step on the end of the towel, while putting my foot or knee behind its butt. If he is angry or panicked, he will try to wriggle backwards and paw the head but evertime he tries, he will either bump into the corner, or your foot/knee. You can keep readjusting the towel if he manages to loosen it.
The whole point is, they are never pinned down or their feet held still. They bump around and worry about the towel and not what you are doing to their feet. And they can't bite you even if they wanted to.

I do think those claws are overgrown. Therefore, have cornstarch available, and trim only a little, once a week. Just like a dog's, the vein grows along with the nail, and you will definitely cut it if you trim too far. And it really hurts them. They will squeek and quiver if you cut it.
Argus are noisy, but not really known for biting.
Have fun.
D.