Some more pics of my carnivorous plants

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
wow, these are awesome. My experience with carnivorous plants ends with a venus fly trap I had as a kid {D

I may have to do some studying on them. I LOVE plants and my vegetable garden is my pride and joy!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well..that depends.....

Typically, I use crickets of varying sizes, from pinheads for sundews up to adults for my larger nepenthes. I also have been known to kindap unassuming and tasy looking bugs I happen to come accross outside on occasion. The plants I grow outdoors, such as venus flytraps and sarracienia catch their own prey so effectivly that I don't even bother feeding those.
Thank you, sir. :)

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some more eye candy....

Venus fly trap "B52" cultivar..

N.Carmen

Cephalotus sending up a flower stalk

N.albomarginata "red form"

S.alata

N.smilesii

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very nice Mark! So far all I have left is a venus fly trap, and a few sarracenia's.

They all just flowered and looked amazing, now I am waiting for seeds.

I still want a "red flytrap" just havent gotten one yet. maybe this fall I will.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
A question for you Exo:

I'm thinking about setting up a Drosera plant on a log and placing it in a large aquarium next to a north facing window(to mimic the way I find them in local marshes).

1) Am I just asking for failure?
2) Will I most likely need supplemental lighting, or alternatively, is there a species that will do OK on low-med natural light?
3) Can the bulb be buried directly into the log w/o supplemental soil(if I use a variety that is tuberous)?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A question for you Exo:

I'm thinking about setting up a Drosera plant on a log and placing it in a large aquarium next to a north facing window(to mimic the way I find them in local marshes).

1) Am I just asking for failure?
2) Will I most likely need supplemental lighting, or alternatively, is there a species that will do OK on low-med natural light?
3) Can the bulb be buried directly into the log w/o supplemental soil(if I use a variety that is tuberous)?
1) not necessarily.

2) You will need intense natural sunlight or flourecent lighting for almost any Drosera with the exception of three species. D.adelae, D.prolifera, and D.schizandra. For your application though, D.adelae would be the best canidate.

3) Tuberous species would be totally unsuitable for growing on a log, they require a deep sandy soil. For other sundews, a pocket filled with wet long fiber sphagnum moss will be needed to establish the plant, and if the air is kept humid and the log is kept moist, the roots will eventually creep out over the log.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Very nice Mark! So far all I have left is a venus fly trap, and a few sarracenia's.

They all just flowered and looked amazing, now I am waiting for seeds.

I still want a "red flytrap" just havent gotten one yet. maybe this fall I will.
What...like this one? ;)

Drakk

Arachnosquire
I have no words to describe those plants...but now i NEED some....^^

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
I love carnivorous plants! The prize of my collection was a dewy pine

Last edited:

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
Very nice!....those aren't easy to grow, I applaud your skill! :clap:
thanks dude but i have to say, heliamphoras are pretty difficult to care for too! Sadly the dewy pine died when I accidentally left it out side and it started to rain, the roots were drenched which is not good for this species because they like it dry, do you have any?

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks dude but i have to say, heliamphoras are pretty difficult to care for too! Sadly the dewy pine died when I accidentally left it out side and it started to rain, the roots were drenched which is not good for this species because they like it dry, do you have any?
Nope..I don't have one of those yet, but I intend on getting one sometime, I'm working on my list though....I just ordered a B.reducta, a carnivorous bromeliad, so my list of have every genus of carnivore is nearing completion. {D

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
dont you have a heliamphora nutans? I have been looking for a one for a while in NY and was wondering if you know where to get one? Hope you dont mind if i post one or two pics myself ;)

Last edited:

presurcukr

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is it true that if you use crickets to feed the fly traps the trap turns black and dies ?? just the trap not the whole plant.

Cuddly Cobalt

Arachnosquire
i dont think they can rot your venus flytrap with crix, redmeat does that though, it is not advised to feed your plants anything besides small insects

tekkendarklord

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
really nice plant pictures!! :clap:
although for some reason they're kind of scary
imagine huge plants walking and trying to eat you

Exo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it true that if you use crickets to feed the fly traps the trap turns black and dies ?? just the trap not the whole plant.
Only isf you use one that is too large for the trap.....as a general rule, you should feed nothing larger than 1/2 the size of the trap. Also, each trap can only digest a few bugs in it's lifetime before it turns black anyway....the traps "wear out" with use.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

dont you have a heliamphora nutans? I have been looking for a one for a while in NY and was wondering if you know where to get one? Hope you dont mind if i post one or two pics myself ;)
Very Nice sarracienias and flytrap! :clap: