Some Kind of Lycosid - ID Needed

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I found this gal? sauntering across my bathroom floor last week. It's about 2" in leg span and quite a voracious eater. It also cannot climb smooth surfaces.

She is very dark in coloration, almost appearing black in normal light with some faint striping on the legs.

Any ideas? I Googled Lycosids and Hogna and never really found a picture resembling anything close.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmmmm Hogna georgicola? but not 100% sure on that second opinions are always good

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say not georgicola, but I don't really know if there can be color variation. Here is a georgicola. They all look like this here.

Did you post an ID request on Bugguide.net?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It looks real similar to the georgicola, but obviously darker. I've got another smaller one I caught in the kitchen that is the same type of critter, its a bit lighter, but still I think darker than that georgicola.

And no, I've not tried Bugguide, just searching through there is complicated for me. For some reason the way they have things set up its almost impossible for me to navigate adequately. I don't know if I'm the only person who has problems or what. =/

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hogna helluo should have a black ventral abdomen. It doesn't look like the Hogna helluo we have here, carapace is too wide.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It looks like both of those on Bugguide, as to whether its Hogna helluo no clue. Googling them came up with several different Wolf Spiders that all looked differently. =P

Whatever she is, she's pretty aggressive. Fed her a meal worm pupae and she spent 30 seconds or so in a pretty nice threat display complete with slapping at and biting the tweezers.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The glory of messed up systematics. At least with such things as the semi recent PEET grants and such the taxonomy of arthropods are being updated with modern molecular techniques and someday in the future all of the stuff may be sorted out.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Whatever she may be, she dropped an egg sac sometime in the past 2-3 days. She is wild caught so I would assume she was captured fertile.

I'm not sure if the sac is supposed to be white in coloration, like most I've seen, or the dark greyish that it is, or if perhaps that's a bad sign.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldnt worry overly about the color of the sac. I've had wolfs drop grey, white, or even blue sacs. Whats your plan with her now that she has a sac?

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Its kind of a bluish-grey and is a very poorly made sac if I've ever seen one. There is a hole in the sac on the back side, like a slash, and you can clearly see the eggs within.

If its viable and it hatches, I fully intend on releasing the young in the forest behind my home.

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmmm...............post a pic of it if you get a chance. I like to compare sacs of different kinds of wolf spiders, though Im not sure if it can be used taxonomically, I just find it interesting.

I would just leave her be for now and see what happens with it.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welp, she ate the egg sac. I'm guessing she ate it anyway, I found what looked like a chewed up wet mass about the same color, in spots, as the egg sac, and she was looking mighty plump.

*sigh*

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is some HOGNA sp. maybe the georgicola 'cause it has some kind of similarity to these.