sold to me as an adult avicularia metallica female what do you guys think?

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I only paid $20 so I wont be to upset if it is not exactly that. It can move fast but is pretty slow most of the time. What I do know is its about 4 inches (front right to back left so is it a juv?) and was very thirsty when I brought it home today. I am pretty sure it will be molting very soon because it has really bald shinny knees and its bottom is shinny on the bald spot. So what do you guys think? (sorry for the fuzzy pics.. Im staying with my gram for the week and her camera is old.)

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still a newb but imo it looks like A. metallica but kinda need better pics.

Here's mine, which I do believe is an A. metallica.

Got it from the local petco for 18 bucks. Not sure of the sex or if mature or not. Probably about the same size as yours.

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is the spider, so they sold you the correct species it appears at least. Can't tell if it is female cause you need a shot from the underside of the tarantula for that. If you think it is approaching a molt make sure the container it is in is moiste and around 75 degrees in temp. Don't use any additioinal heat source other than your thermostat.

ExotiPet

Arachnopeon
I actually just bought a female A. metallica also that is very small. I got it to breed with my male but he is twice her size. She also barely moves... I literally have to peel her off the log she sits in to hold her. I thinks she is about ready to molt as well.

You definitely have a Metallica, looks identical to mine. I am curious though if all the females are small like this compared to the males or if they are just young still.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
I actually just bought a female A. metallica also that is very small. I got it to breed with my male but he is twice her size. She also barely moves... I literally have to peel her off the log she sits in to hold her. I thinks she is about ready to molt as well.
I've been keeping a few sub adults for about a year now and have noticed this as well. I was constantly worried they were sick, but food items are always gone the next morning and the webbing changes every couple weeks or so. Maybe they're just more prone to being lethargic than others. Or maybe just a little more on the nocturnal side.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
It takes quite a bit to get mine to move. took me like 5 mins of gentle nudging to get "her" into her new home. Are your females about 4 inches? Since she is due for a molt any day now I was hoping for her to gain some size. Either way as long as I dont see any hooks I will be thrilled lol.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like A. avicularia to me. Note how LirvA's spider has shorter white-tipped setae while Dravens' seems to have longer, red-tipped setae. This is the easiest indicator to spot. (Metallica has the white tips) Of course, it could just be the fuzzy pictures and I can't see the white.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
I have a male that is identified as an A. metallica, and he has a 7" legspan. The female the breeder has been pairing him with is larger than he, so 4" is not a large size for this species as I understand it.

Marga

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have a male that is identified as an A. metallica, and he has a 7" legspan. The female the breeder has been pairing him with is larger than he, so 4" is not a large size for this species as I understand it.

Marga
A 4" A. metallica is going to be a large juvenile or a sub-adult. They can have mature coloration at this time, though so it can sometimes be difficult to tell. Adults are usually 6"-7" DLS.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Looks like A. avicularia to me. Note how LirvA's spider has shorter white-tipped setae while Dravens' seems to have longer, red-tipped setae. This is the easiest indicator to spot. (Metallica has the white tips) Of course, it could just be the fuzzy pictures and I can't see the white.
aren't there two variations of the A. metallica too, though?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I`d say it looks like what we in the hobby call "A. metallica"......check out my pic thread, i think the last page has a good shot or 2 of one of my metallicas....

I have 4 females, from different bloood lines, and they are all almost identical in looks.

Hope this helps!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
I believe the real A. metallica is not in the hobby. I did find a picture once and I have to say I want a real one. They really do have white toes! Not like our hobby specimens. This is why I refer to mine as Avicularia sp. "metallica"
Maybe Falk or someone can chime in. Yours is not an adult. I can't say if it is a "metallica" because of the pics but I have noticed the setae turn a more brownish color before a molt. Here is my 6" girl a few months post-molt.

Attachments

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I am pretty sure I have a Avic. Metallica then. it has white tips of the hair it has left. It is sooo in need of a molt so just to be extra sure I will post a pic in the id section once it molts. I reeeally hope it molts soon.. it wont eat, can harldy climb and has hardly any hair compared to other avics I have seen. Poor thing looks pretty shabby lol. The guy I bought it from said it did not molt at all in the 2 months he had it. How long do you guys think it will be?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds like it will molt very soon. You know it's close when they start falling off the glass because their scopulae are losing grip.

Dravensmom

Arachnosquire
I really hope it molts soon.. very heartbreaking to watch it fall so much. I put a ton of substrate in so lets hope it makes it to its next molt lol.