So yeah, waterfall time?

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In my H Lao's tank I had a stream in the middle with a log for the H Lao to climb over, well, turns out there was as slight leak between the aquatic rubber sealant and plexiglass and all of the water leaked onto 1 side of the terrarium, not only that, but still non moving water turns pretty icky in a few days (hence the reason why we have to clean out their water bowls every week lol). It is a pain to clean out too.

Not only that, but the plants and green grass that my friend picked out at the pet store/home depot are beginning to die/turn brown/wilt, I am sure its because they need a lot of sun and or they cant handle the 80-90 degree temperature thats always going down in there.

So I have decided to redo the H Laos enclosure, starting with the plants, I will be replacing all of the plants with 1 giant pothos plant, I have a Pothos plant in both my emperor's and red claw's enclosures and they are doing great even with a IR shining down on them 24 hours, they can literally live in 100% water. (My buddies mom has one with a betta swimming around under it)

I have a 10g tank, tall enough and big enough to fit one of those small Exo Terra Waterfalls inside, I have seen them in the 18x18x18 exo terra enclosures, and they look nice, pretty natural feel. I can get a small exo terra waterfall for 30 bucks so yeah.

I have done a search on here people mentioned vibrations stressing out the scorpion? Has anyone put one in theirs? Or a waterfall of any sort? Dont some H Lao live near streams/waterfalls?

BTW I do have a false bottom setup, the waterfall is more of aesthetics then a humidity booster, same with the plants.

Last edited:

jgod790

Arachnoknight
I personally think you should not use a waterfall unless you have like at least a 20 gallon tank, the scorpions would rather have more room to dig and walk around rather then a waterfall. So just consider what is more important to you, the aesthetics, or your scorpions happiness. i am not trying to discourage your idea, this is just my personal opinion.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Yeah I see what you are saying, but if a 5 gal is enough for one of these, id imagine a 10 gal is enough, its a small waterfall too, and plus I have that creak/pool in the middle of it that she never uses shes normally on 1 side of the enclosure anyways which is like a 4x10 piece of enclosure, only crossing over to get water, thats why i put the water bowl on the other side just so she would go over there lol

I am asking if it will 'vibrate' or anything like that, if its just a natural small waterfall with a plug i am all for it.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
1. What's an ASF? :?

2. I don't think the scorpion would care if there is a waterfall.

3. There could be vibration from the motor, but I don't know. If there is:
a. You could put the motor outside of tank right?
b. You could put the motor on a rubber type pad to reduce vibration.
c. You should be able to plug it in in the pet store to check it out.

Good Luck! Sounds awesome to me. If you do set this up, show us pics! :)

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1. What's an ASF? :?

2. I don't think the scorpion would care if there is a waterfall.

3. There could be vibration from the motor, but I don't know. If there is:
a. You could put the motor outside of tank right?
b. You could put the motor on a rubber type pad to reduce vibration.
c. You should be able to plug it in in the pet store to check it out.

Good Luck! Sounds awesome to me. If you do set this up, show us pics! :)
Lol I think youve asked that question before
Asian forest scorpion :p I guess Ill just say H Laoticus from now on :p

Yeah I think Ill try all of those see how it work out.

Of course ill post pics, I have of this enclosure already, but yeah that was before the leak and removal of water cause it got all mucky.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I may have asked before! AFS made me think of AGB's. I've never had any AFS', so I've never gotten that acronym in through the thickness of my skull.
:D I'll get it eventually. But for the non-initiated here, you may want to use H. l. ;)

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Watch out Nomad,

That Roblicious has a tendency to tell a lot of non relevant info, without anyone asking for it, and also to ask both retorical and noob questions!
He also just posts just to share stuff, like he has no one to talk to...No the most clever person you'll meet on the net....asking 10.000 questions about a night glo bulb and a waterfall, instead of talking to the manufacturers...

just a warning...

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Watch out Nomad,

That Roblicious has a tendency to tell a lot of non relevant info, without anyone asking for it, and also to ask both retorical and noob questions!
He also just posts just to share stuff, like he has no one to talk to...No the most clever person you'll meet on the net....asking 10.000 questions about a night glo bulb and a waterfall, instead of talking to the manufacturers...

just a warning...
I think I just got trolled

scorpguy

Arachnopeon
Isn't the acronym for Asian Forest Scorpion AFS not ASF? I realize it might have been a typo but using the right acronyms might help eliminate confusion.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Isn't the acronym for Asian Forest Scorpion AFS not ASF? I realize it might have been a typo but using the right acronyms might help eliminate confusion.
Yeah it was a typo and I went ahead and changed to to H lao

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For the record, the pump for the exoterra waterfall (which is actually placed in the waterfall) is pretty much silent. If there are vibrations from it, the scopions do not exhibit any behavior that suggests it. They crawl all over it like any other object in their enclosure and take a drink here and there also.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So, when are you gonna install the jacuzzi, the disco lights and the sun tan machine? :D:D These have to go with the fall you know....

ruska

Arachnopeon
So, when are you gonna install the jacuzzi, the disco lights and the sun tan machine? :D:D These have to go with the fall you know....
This totally led to the thought of taking a picture of a bikini-clad Barbie doll sitting in the waterfall, blissfully unaware of the scorpion stalking her. Or at least that's what I'd do. Or maybe a Polly Pocket, as then it would be more like "OMGgiantscorpionrunPollyrun!"

Yeah so maybe I'm a little twisted.

Animalia

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rofl... I think im going to make a set up like that for my C. vits now ;P

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was going to think of something clever and flip it on ya for kicks lol

I was thinking about buying a small bikini action figure with a towel and set it right out front of the waterfall with a Tarzan action figure to come to the rescue!

EDIT:

she has made her home in between the glass and the waterfall, there is about a 1.5 inch gap between the 2 only because of the giant wire that the waterfall comes with. I might have to make her a starter burrow

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was going to think of something clever and flip it on ya for kicks lol

I was thinking about buying a small bikini action figure with a towel and set it right out front of the waterfall with a Tarzan action figure to come to the rescue!

EDIT:

she has made her home in between the glass and the waterfall, there is about a 1.5 inch gap between the 2 only because of the giant wire that the waterfall comes with. I might have to make her a starter burrow

LOL!!! What would we call it if the males deposits a spermatophore on Tarzans face?