So what is the least defensive OW

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
With all these allergic people on here with regards to NW tarantulas...what is the calmest/least defensive old world T?

Go ahead and include psalmos since they also lack hairs if I remember right...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
From my experience, they all are pretty defensive, but you can calm them all down by removing them from their home. I can handle any of my OW Ts, and I'm pretty sure many others can as well. It also depnds on each individuals personality. Like the P.murinus I use to have would let me hold it anytime I wanted, but the one I have no is a true devil. I can still hold it, but it's definately different.

Overall though, I'd say E.pachypus

Edit: Are you asking this cause you want to get into OWs?

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I was asking this cause I was hoping there would be a docile T for those who are allergic to urt hairs.

I myself am not that concerned about aggression, but speed makes me nervous. Then again, I'll likely have a cambridgei soon and would love irmina so I am a sucker for punishment. I recall genus Nhandu is aggressive but not very fast, but they also have urticating hairs.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Get the P.cambridgei or P.irminia. My Avatar to the left is of my P.cambridgei, but then again if you're not worried about defensiveness and just speed go with almost any OW species except Poecilotheria spp. and Heteroscodra maculata. Sure OW species are naturally fast, but those are the fastest by far!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol if I tried to hold my P.cambridgei male or my female id get bit over and over and over. There is no way in heck id even try.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
poecilotheria are generally pretty calm.alot easier to deal with than any psalm imo

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ryan have you tried removing them from their enclosures first.
There is no way..... I should video her sometime, if I walk into the room and displace to much air she runs up and shows fangs, sometimes striking so many times she flips over on her back.

I have had calmer ones though.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what do you think of E. pachypus?
mine is pretty defensive while in her cage , and i havent had the chance to take her out yet . i still like her very much , she just looks really cool to me .

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
My P. lugardi female was pretty laid back. My P. miranda female while very fast, is also very non-defensive. E. pachypus was kind of half and half, some of them were quite defensive while others could be held.

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There is no way..... I should video her sometime, if I walk into the room and displace to much air she runs up and shows fangs, sometimes striking so many times she flips over on her back.

I have had calmer ones though.
hahaha man i can just picture this in my head... she just wants to gobble you up. ;P

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think if the OP wants a docile pet with no urticating hairs they should get a hamster... You can't have everything :)

Just get a NW that isn't known to be a kicker, like any of the grammostola family

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think if the OP wants a docile pet with no urticating hairs they should get a hamster... You can't have everything :)

Just get a NW that isn't known to be a kicker, like any of the grammostola family
Agreed. There are certain risks that come with keeping certain pets. If a person isn't ready to deal with them maybe they're just not ready for that pet.

Also in agreement about grammy's. My G aureostriata has never tried to hair me at all. Neither has one of my 2 rosea's. The other doesn't do it often and was WC so behavior is less predictable anyway.

Are you worried about getting haired while handling or just about tank maintenance, feeding etc? If it's the latter, gloves, long sleeves and enough observation to learn the moods of the T should be enough to keep you (mostly) safe.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chaetopelma ssp. are calm spiders, might be difficult ot find any though

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my E.pachypus is very mild mannered, generally quite calm... has made a cool web too, similar to what my gbb has constructed.

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My E.pachypus is one of the most docile T's I have. I dont hold though

Aschamne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Hamster are anything but docile, they are just as defensive as most Ts and will not hesitate to bite(although they are more pet like once they are out of there enclosure).

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've got 2 Brachypelma and one Aphonopelma. They are really lovely T's. I've heard of stories of people having to stop keeping NW tarantulas when they develop allergies. Currently, I do not notice any itchiness whatsoever. I guess by then speed and aggressiveness is not that big of an issue. It'd still be nice though for them to be able to keep a docile T.

I was wondering if their might have been a T that had he best of both worlds, but apparently not!