So what do I do now? Eggs with legs.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Man I love my GTs and this is by far the most exciting moment I've had in the hobby.
So the story goes:
It's been around 7-8 weeks since my female GT (golden trapdoor) turned my male into a fairly untidy looking bolus:hurting:, anyways I pulled the egg sac about 3-4 weeks ago and carefully put it aside in a small condiment cup with a piece of almost damp paper towel and to be honest I had forgot about it, (aw dude I'm a bad step dad I know).
Anyways I've opened it up today after work and can see that we are now in business with lots of fat little GT slings, phew, fist pump- yay!! :D
IMG_20200224_173419.jpg
I'm a bit unsure of my next step with the process, how long do I leave them like this? I know @RezonantVoid tends to leave his Aus native trap slings with mum and let nature take its course, with great results too I might add.
My plan is to keep a few in a colony style environment with the rest going into small condiment cups to be individually raised and moved on to other keepers.
So advice is needed, what do I do now?
Anything in particular I need to know?
Thanks in advance, Rhino.

Last edited:

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Here's a pic of mum for anyone interested (euoplos variabilis).
They are basically just a ferocious tank with anger issues:mad:.
As with all my breeding projects she was selected for excellent colour as most of my E.variabilis are much much darker I think the next best coloured one I had now resides with Mr RezonantVoid.
IMG_20200223_192527.jpg

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Sorry to take her from you! If they're like Arbanitis the slings would normally stay with the mother for a few weeks and then begin to burrow. They will probably pinheads after a month or maybe 2 depending on their size. Idiopids are pretty easy to care for as slings, communal or seperate.

One thing to take note of, make sure any late burrowers are removed from the communal setup. Slings will cannibalise if their siblings arent quick enough to dig

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Thank you for the invitation but I don't have instagram. I'm old. :rofl:
Sorry to take her from you! If they're like Arbanitis the slings would normally stay with the mother for a few weeks and then begin to burrow. They will probably pinheads after a month or maybe 2 depending on their size. Idiopids are pretty easy to care for as slings, communal or seperate.

One thing to take note of, make sure any late burrowers are removed from the communal setup. Slings will cannibalise if their siblings arent quick enough to dig
Nah not at all, I wanted you to have them.
Ok, so I assume they will leave the sac on their own when they are ready. I wanted to count them for my own records, so all good to leave them for a few weeks before seperating them?

This is what they are in atm:
2oz cup with paper towel
IMG_20200224_173228.jpg

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Whoops sorry Andrea82 I don't know how I quoted you from a totally seperate post?? Darn interwebs.
If it makes you feel better I'm old af too.