so, my rosehair thinks its an avic...what to do?

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well what do i do? this thing loves going on the roof and such. I just want to stop it before it hurts itself....

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
It might not like your substrate choice, what are you using? Also, just keep the fall distance to a minimum

Bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep, like Bill said. Deeper substrate to minimize the distance your T may fall. Your substrate may not be to your T's liking or sometimes T's take a little while to get used to it too. It's not uncommon for them to hang out off the floor for a while until they begin to lay down some silk here and there to get comfortable. What substrate are you using?

Atrax

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Either that, or your rosie really thinks it is an avic and there is nothing you can do about it. Take your pick.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
its not like he goes up there every chance he gets. Just every once in a while it climbs the glass. BTW im using Bed-a-beast.

Also, most if the time he walks around fine. I think hes just climbing in the direction of the window....

I ask this because i found him hanging by one leg today coming from a baseball game and was worried

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Paladin
its not like he goes up there every chance he gets. Just every once in a while it climbs the glass. BTW im using Bed-a-beast.

Also, most if the time he walks around fine. I think hes just climbing in the direction of the window....

I ask this because i found him hanging by one leg today coming from a baseball game and was worried
This IS definitely something to worry about--loss of a leg at best, loss of life at worst. But it can easily be prevented by adding substrate, as others have said. If the substrate is deep enough so that the tarantula can touch it with at least one leg while hanging from the lid, it can free itself. Or, to use the standard formula, the distance between the top of the substrate and the lid should be no more than the tarantula's diagonal legspan.

Joy

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
arg thats a lot of substrate i need...oh well im gonna get started.

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hight

Hi.

This happened to me exactly with my big female Chaco, about 6 - 7 inches, she started a tour around the 10 gallon tank like an Avic. and she did fall once.
On top of that she got stuck in the screen lid I had and she paniced bad, moving hard to get her leg loose.
I took the lid out and turned it around and helped her to get off.

I got this advice to fill up the tank so she could touch the the ceiling and the substrate any way.:)
I also switched lid to a custom built fiberglass lid with air holes in it.

After the switch to this higher substrate and lid her climbing stopped completly.:)

So now my big mama is in an upcoming molt and she doesn't do any climbing adventures at all anymore.
Just up on top of her pot waiting for crickets.:D

Kenny

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Paladin,
My rosie adult, Audra, does this. Its usually after I clean her enclosure out. No matter the bedding I have used, she still does it. However, as soon as she has laid webbing EVERYWHERE, she calms down. I'm going to try and snap some pics, tomorrow. I'm just hoping I can get the webbing in. Her enclosure looks like an eerie graveyard.
Peace,
Gillian