So...my mom decided to spray pesticides in my room...

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm going back to America in 2 1/2 months. As some of you know, my house has a tick infestation. I told my mom to call an exterminator for an opinion, but that I didn't want any pesticides used because of my T's sensitivity to them. She didn't call the exterminator because she said all they would do was spray anyway, so what does she do? Take all of my critters out of my room and spray the room herself. Now they are all upstairs, directly above my room. I've asked my mom to keep them upstairs until I come home, but I'm afraid that won't be enough. She at least knows to wash her hands before she feeds them.

Will it ever be safe to put them back in my room? I don't trust pesticides, I think they should be left to the professionals.

Ugh..I am just so upset about this. If she kills off my collection from this I'm going to be MAD! :mad:

winwin

Arachnoknight
I think it would be best to keep your T's there for now. Keep it there until you are sure that the pesticides are gone.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it would be best to keep your T's there for now. Keep it there until you are sure that the pesticides are gone.
Yes but how can I tell if the pesticide is gone? What about residue on surfaces?

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thoroughly clean all surfaces, walls and floors. If floors are carpet consider steam cleaning them. Then you should be fine.

sean-820

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would wait a bit and preferably relocate them to another house.
If its warm in their new room i would open the window so they have constant fresh air though it may have to be closed at night. Id probably keep them there for at least a month to let the pesticides where off then just clean the room good and return them. You cant really tell if the pesticides are gone, so thats why waiting is the best idea just to make sure their concentration is low

mhill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thoroughly clean all surfaces, walls and floors. If floors are carpet consider steam cleaning them. Then you should be fine.
Exactly what I would recommend...also...maybe you can find somekind of common insects outside and house them in your room for a week or so after you thoroughly clean the room. Monitoring them may give some indications as to wether or not the room will be safe or not for the T's. Just an idea.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Can you tell us what kinds of pesticide she used? What i'm trying to figure out if she used something designed to kill on contact and that is it, or if she used something that is designed to sit on the surface and the pest that walks through it "gets whacked" or if this is something that is different.

Believe me, i'm no chemist or pesticide expert, but I have read enough things about them to know there are some differences.

Wash, scrub, vacuum... My guess, in most scenarios, they should be fine!

Joe - cak

winwin

Arachnoknight
I use ant powder and I place it around the enclosures of my T's and scorpions but it didn't do anything bad to them... It's just to keep the ants away because once I had some ants inside my B. Smithi's enc and though they don't bother him, I'm not taking any chances.

rexi_doll

Arachnopeon
I would also recommend raising the humidity. When my avic got DKS, many people recommended higher humidity and making sure they are well hydrated, to help flush anything bad out of their system.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also recommend raising the humidity. When my avic got DKS, many people recommended higher humidity and making sure they are well hydrated, to help flush anything bad out of their system.
Raising the humidity wont really help with pesticides.. I use aerosol pesticides.. Also known as "bombs".. I have bombed my house twice since I got into collecting T's..

I keep my T's at my sister's house.. Remove anything that I use for my critters out of the house.. Wait a week.. Clean all the shelves that I use to hold my critters.. Sweep.. Mop.. Clean the walls..

Then.. After all the cleaning is complete.. I wait an extra day.. So all the fumes go away..

I have not lost any this way..

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
The only thing that matters is not 100 opinions on how best to "clean" the room, but on what pesticide it was. Period. I had Orkin do our house for 7 years with bugs in the room, and they were FINE. Why? It was a contact/barrier treatment, nothing aerosol or mist. If it was a contact/barrier treatment, all your worry is for nothing... if it was a "bug bomb", then I would abosolutely recommend getting them out of that house for a bit. Any damage that was likely to occur, though, is likely already done.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing that matters is not 100 opinions on how best to "clean" the room, but on what pesticide it was. Period. I had Orkin do our house for 7 years with bugs in the room, and they were FINE. Why? It was a contact/barrier treatment, nothing aerosol or mist. If it was a contact/barrier treatment, all your worry is for nothing... if it was a "bug bomb", then I would abosolutely recommend getting them out of that house for a bit. Any damage that was likely to occur, though, is likely already done.
Thanks for the info. I think it was one of those bug bombs. If my collection isn't already dead or dying, I will tell her to keep the window open to air my room out. We really don't have any other place we could keep the spiders. Why she chose MY room to do it in, I have no idea. I really wish she had asked me about it first. :wall:

rexi_doll

Arachnopeon
You may also want to consider getting(or her getting) live plants to put in both your room and the room that they are in. they help purify the air. I mostly have golden pothos in my T room, because they are pretty easy to care for, and fairly cheap. I think I got all of mine at wal mart for $6 each.

rexi_doll

Arachnopeon
Raising the humidity wont really help with pesticides.. I use aerosol pesticides.. Also known as "bombs".. I have bombed my house twice since I got into collecting T's..

I keep my T's at my sister's house.. Remove anything that I use for my critters out of the house.. Wait a week.. Clean all the shelves that I use to hold my critters.. Sweep.. Mop.. Clean the walls..

Then.. After all the cleaning is complete.. I wait an extra day.. So all the fumes go away..

I have not lost any this way..
I JUST read this. I was told it would help wash anything out of their system, if in fact anything got into their bodies.