So much for picky eaters.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Just fed our recently adopted ball python. I was told that it would only eat live and never rats. She had had it for many years and I was worried it would actualy be set in its ways. I provided it with a thawed rat that was quite warm and it ate it right away. So much for picky eaters. :)

Cheers,
Dave

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congratulations. It's always nice to have a snake that eats without too many problems. :)

Bry

wayneo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Dave,

That is great I got my BP from somebody who had it in deplorable conditions and it didn't eat for 6 months(according) to him. and it took me almost 8 months before it ate for me. It is doing great now it does have some scarring from before i acquired it. Next time I borrow my sis's digi-cam I will post some pics of it.

Wayne H

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine has no problem eating

My Ball python has no problem eating!! My new born female on the other hand just had her first meal last week and she is was three weeks old. My other ball python eats like crazy!! I was feeding him every five days but now I cut it back to seven. The other day he almost took my hand off. In his feeding cage he was in a corner and in the "S" position so I kind of tossed in the mouse in that corner. He hit that mouse before it had a chance to hit the ground or run. He had it pinned up against the wall, it was cool;P I was just joking about how he almost took off my hand, I had about three inches before he hit me:D

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here is a pic of my fat one=D you have to remember that he is only 4 months old(the one that almost took off my hand)

Attachments

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Mine has no problem eating

Originally posted by BigSam
He hit that mouse before it had a chance to hit the ground or run.
Hmph... :mad:

Bry

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Re: Mine has no problem eating

Originally posted by BigSam
He hit that mouse before it had a chance to hit the ground or run.
I hear that. Ours has done that the past few weeks, she is coming off a fast and is hungry as hell. BTW, anyone know what causes them to fast? the temp is constant in her enclosure and the humidity is realatively stable year round. Is it just something they do when they feel fat?

biznacho

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Because.......

I have heard they go through fasts in Africa, because of the dry season, and there is much less prey then............so they tend to sleep much more then. And Dave, about the frozen prey, the research I have conducted and read of, suggests that frozen prey actually causes a greater feeding response in reptiles, because when the cells thaw out, they have a more condensed, stronger smell, which contributes to the greater feeding response, and the warm prey does not hurt either! :) I read of this in a now out of print reptile mag. called Reptiles& Amphibians,
It was conducted by some very respectable P.h.d. 's:)

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Personally, I think the label of ball pythons as poor feeders is a great injustice. I currently have six ball pythons, not a one is a bad feeder, not a one has ever gone on a fast. Makes a big difference when you don't buy parasite ridden, and horribly abused imported animals from Petco. :)

Rav

biznacho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ravnos
Personally, I think the label of ball pythons as poor feeders is a great injustice. I currently have six ball pythons, not a one is a bad feeder, not a one has ever gone on a fast. Makes a big difference when you don't buy parasite ridden, and horribly abused imported animals from Petco. :)
So it it based on some sort of internal clock? Mine was captive bred by a respected local dealer(Prehistoric Pets in Fountain Valley, CA) so i know it isnt from any dry season response. unless they kept them with seasonal adjustments. I dont think they do that, to much to keep track of if they did. Ah well, as long as she gets her food im happy.

biznacho

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many breeders do keep their animals with seasonal adjustments, because often that is the only way to get them in the mood to breed. Who knows though... I'm sure there is some sort of internal mechanism that tells them when to fast and when to binge.

Rav

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Makes a big difference when you don't buy parasite ridden, and horribly abused imported animals from Petco. :)
Come talk some sense into my ball python, none of these factors apply to him. :)

Bry