So I made an application...

tisha

Arachnopeon
Will download to try !!! Love the Tarantulas app
Great! Please let me know if you encounter problems. :happy:

If here is good then I'll request here - just wasn't sure with the port if you had another channel. The biggest thing I'd like to see is simply the ability to sync the history and feeding schedules etc across multiple devices in an automated fashion. The use case is having multiple caretakers for the same collection. (And letting me keep an eye on whether my teen son is under/over feeding etc)
There would be a bit of a problem since the app uses an internal database stored in the device. This would be easy if there's a central database, like facebook or any online app that fetches and saves data from/to a remote database. I can possibly add an option for a remote storage but that would be a premium feature since I'll have to pay for storage and lots of work. Hmmmm, I'll think of an easier simpler solution to this.

We have tried using a shared dropbox with a routine of "restore from Dropbox, feed/log/etc, backup to Dropbox" which seemed to work one time but then stopped. We have discussed just using one copy of the app on a shared device (probably an old nexus tablet I have knocking around), but the reminders are a really nice feature.
Yes, this will not work on Tarantulas App since the Dropbox access key is stored in the database and once synced to a different device, the access key is copied to that device and Dropbox will not allow access because the key belongs to a different device.
This has been fixed in ExotiKeeper, the access key is no longer stored in the database and will not be synced to the other devices. You'll just have to link all the other devices to the same Dropbox account and I would suggest disabling auto-backup to Dropbox from settings if you plan on using multiple devices.

I have been using the app since it started, and I love it.
That's awesome! :happy:

About the only thing I would like to see is the ability to send all the collected data on one individual tarantula to the person who bought it or traded it so they can add it to there app.
There are features in both apps that allow you to send and receive pet data, pictures not included though.

Send Tarantula Data:
1. From the tarantulas list, click on the tarantula to be sent.
2. In the tarantula's info page, click menu then choose 'Send Data'.
3. An alert box will pop-up with some data upload information, click 'Yes' to continue or 'No' to cancel.
4. After successful upload, a new alert box will pop-up with the download key that you have to give to the recipient.
Receive Tarantula Data:
1. From the tarantulas list, click menu and choose 'Receive Data'.
2. An alert box will pop-up where you can enter the download key then click 'Download'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
There would be a bit of a problem since the app uses an internal database stored in the device. This would be easy if there's a central database, like facebook or any online app that fetches and saves data from/to a remote database. I can possibly add an option for a remote storage but that would be a premium feature since I'll have to pay for storage and lots of work. Hmmmm, I'll think of an easier simpler solution to this.

Yes, this will not work on Tarantulas App since the Dropbox access key is stored in the database and once synced to a different device, the access key is copied to that device and Dropbox will not allow access because the key belongs to a different device.
This has been fixed in ExotiKeeper, the access key is no longer stored in the database and will not be synced to the other devices. You'll just have to link all the other devices to the same Dropbox account and I would suggest disabling auto-backup to Dropbox from settings if you plan on using multiple devices.
Dropbox sync is perfectly fine for my needs with that change, so long as settings are not synced, or are optionally synced - I would ideally have my son's device auto-backup and just manually restore on my own (the simpler I can keep his workflow the better). Is this change live on your port today then? If so I'll grab a copy immediately and test functionality in our environment.

tisha

Arachnopeon
Dropbox sync is perfectly fine for my needs with that change, so long as settings are not synced, or are optionally synced - I would ideally have my son's device auto-backup and just manually restore on my own (the simpler I can keep his workflow the better). Is this change live on your port today then? If so I'll grab a copy immediately and test functionality in our environment.
The Dropbox access key removed from settings is live, but the auto-backup is still part of the synced data. I'll have to think about removing this auto-backup setting from the database that will not affect current users.
If you do try the new app now, I would suggested turning auto-backup off on all devices.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
The Dropbox access key removed from settings is live, but the auto-backup is still part of the synced data. I'll have to think about removing this auto-backup setting from the database that will not affect current users.
If you do try the new app now, I would suggested turning auto-backup off on all devices.
Thanks, we'll be sure to turn off the auto backup and use the workflow we'd attempted with the old app during our evaluation period. While I have your attention, 2 other hopefully quick-hit requests:
1) the option to record an offered-but-refused feeding that leaves the "days hungry" unmodified while resetting the interval for the feeding reminder (bonus ask: a separate interval for refused vs fed - this would allow longer intervals on feedings than refusals i.e. a 14 day interval after feeding vs say 5 days on refusal) if there's a way to accomplish this already, I apologize, but was unable to find such.
2) I assume from the presence of "watch video for 7 days without ads" that you are including ads (I have not seen any, but do use ad blocking software) - if so, a premium/plus version without ads. I would like to support your development but I religiously block ads.

tisha

Arachnopeon
Thanks, we'll be sure to turn off the auto backup and use the workflow we'd attempted with the old app during our evaluation period.
Great!
1) the option to record an offered-but-refused feeding that leaves the "days hungry" unmodified while resetting the interval for the feeding reminder (bonus ask: a separate interval for refused vs fed - this would allow longer intervals on feedings than refusals i.e. a 14 day interval after feeding vs say 5 days on refusal) if there's a way to accomplish this already, I apologize, but was unable to find such.
It's been asked a few times before but I still can't think of a better/safe way to make this modification. I still have this in my todo notes so hopefully I can think of a way to make this work. But for now, deleting the feed date from history is the only option to reset the days hungry counter.
2) I assume from the presence of "watch video for 7 days without ads" that you are including ads (I have not seen any, but do use ad blocking software) - if so, a premium/plus version without ads. I would like to support your development but I religiously block ads.
The app does contain Ads and there is a donate (Ad free) version.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Great!

It's been asked a few times before but I still can't think of a better/safe way to make this modification. I still have this in my todo notes so hopefully I can think of a way to make this work. But for now, deleting the feed date from history is the only option to reset the days hungry counter.

The app does contain Ads and there is a donate (Ad free) version.
I see exactly 2 apps from dev p3kb in the Google play store, neither have donate versions shown, nor could I (easily) find a way to donate in-app. Older android phone, pixel XL android 10, in case that helps troubleshoot.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Is there anything on this app that can’t be achieved using an Excel spreadsheet?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Is there anything on this app that can’t be achieved using an Excel spreadsheet?
Probably not. And I don't doubt that pen and paper would be doing a fantastic job as well. ;)
I, for one, just prefer this very convenient app where I can add a feeding or a moult with just a click. :smug:

@tisha
I've been using and loving your app since I started out in 2017, and now I've switched to the new app. Looks good so far, had no problems transferring all my old data.

Just one request: You mentioned you might be including other pets/categories as well. I'd love to have dart frogs as a category as well, if possible. With dart frogs, you have a lot of breeding going on and tadpoles hatching and morphing all the time, it would be great to record the data in such an easy and convenient way. :)

tisha

Arachnopeon
I see exactly 2 apps from dev p3kb in the Google play store, neither have donate versions shown, nor could I (easily) find a way to donate in-app. Older android phone, pixel XL android 10, in case that helps troubleshoot.
Please send an email to email support@tarantulas.p3kb.com or support@exotikeeper.p3kb.com depending on which app.

As mentioned by Thekla, probably none... or probably some UIs, I don't know, I'm not well versed with excel. :)
Try the app, see if it'll work for you, it's a free app anyway so you can simply uninstall it if it isn't for you. ;)

I've been using and loving your app since I started out in 2017, and now I've switched to the new app. Looks good so far, had no problems transferring all my old data.

Just one request: You mentioned you might be including other pets/categories as well. I'd love to have dart frogs as a category as well, if possible. With dart frogs, you have a lot of breeding going on and tadpoles hatching and morphing all the time, it would be great to record the data in such an easy and convenient way. :)
Awesome!
As for categories, I do plan to add more but probably start with scorpions then centipedes. I've yet to start on it though since I'm working on making the app more stable and probably an iOS version first before doing the categories. I do plan to add an option to move entries from one category to another so existing entries like scorpions and centipedes can be moved without rewriting everything. But this may not come anytime soon as I'm fully loaded with work stuff. :embarrassed:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
Bug report or feature request - DLS entry fields do not appear to accept decimal values.

Pyroxian

Arachnophobophiliac
I'm sure with vbscript and some external web services you could convince excel to do the things I like about this app - specifically feed/water reminders and qrcode label creation/scanning. That along with the convenience of long-press to record feed/water and the "just works" aspect (excel grafted together with external services sounds like more work than I'm interested in) are what sold the idea for me.

Minty

@londontarantulas
I'm sure with vbscript and some external web services you could convince excel to do the things I like about this app - specifically feed/water reminders and qrcode label creation/scanning. That along with the convenience of long-press to record feed/water and the "just works" aspect (excel grafted together with external services sounds like more work than I'm interested in) are what sold the idea for me.

Kitara

Arachnodemon
had no problems transferring all my old data.
I don't know if I'm just dumb or what, but I can't figure out how to do this. Can you walk me through it? I'm pretty tech savvy on the PC, but when it comes to my mobile phone I feel like an idiot. @tisha

tisha

Arachnopeon
I don't know if I'm just dumb or what, but I can't figure out how to do this. Can you walk me through it? I'm pretty tech savvy on the PC, but when it comes to my mobile phone I feel like an idiot. @tisha
You can import your Tarantulas App data into the new app.
In ExotiKeeper's 'My Tarantulas' list, click menu, then 'More' then choose 'Import Old Tarantulas App Data' then follow the instructions in the import page. It's easier if you have the Tarantulas App installed in the same device, simply click on 'Browse and import data from Tarantulas backup?'.
Please make sure your Tarantulas App is at least v2.09.02 and make a full backup first.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
What month are you expecting to release this for ios users? Thanks

mjzheng

Arachnosquire
Not a huge deal , do you think you will ever make a paid version with no ads ? I'd happily purchase

mvbrown21

Arachnopeon
Can't say yet. I'm still saving some funds to sign-up for an apple developer account.
Can’t wait for this to become available!! I just recently learned about your app and was super excited but sadly am entirely within the Apple ecosystem. I’d happily pay for it as well. Keep us updated please!