So I found a (possible Eratigena atrica) Spider in my Living Room...

Flurff

Arachnopeon
Hi all,
So I found a spider in my living room. I think she's female, but I caught her and put her in a makeshift enclosure (a glass mason jar, with metal mesh at the top (I know, risky, but it's all I have right now) until I can get a better container) with some toilet paper rolls to hide in. She's pretty small, and I think she might be a British/Giant House Spider (Eratigena atrica) because she looks exactly like this: (Image is not mine, she's too small for my crappy phone camera to get a good picture)
House-spider-012.jpg
I was wondering how to take care of her? I haven't really found anything on how to take care of a True Spider. What should I do for water and food? I know they're opportunistic eaters, and it's winter where I live, so there aren't any bugs I could catch to give to her. What kind of setup should I do? I'll post some photos of the enclosure itself a bit later.

Also, her name is Ella.

Thanks,
Flurff

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I was wondering how to take care of her? I haven't really found anything on how to take care of a True Spider. What should I do for water and food? I know they're opportunistic eaters, and it's winter where I live, so there aren't any bugs I could catch to give to her. What kind of setup should I do? I'll post some photos of the enclosure itself a bit later.
They just need some anchor points for webbing. You can periodically drip some water into the webbing for her to drink.

Do you have any pet stores nearby? They probably carry crickets or mealworms.

Flurff

Arachnopeon
They just need some anchor points for webbing. You can periodically drip some water into the webbing for her to drink.

Do you have any pet stores nearby? They probably carry crickets or mealworms.
Thank you! Good to know.

Yes I do. She's pretty small, would I just cut up a mealworm (since crickets aren't allowed where I live) and give it to her or go with a smaller worm type?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Yes I do. She's pretty small, would I just cut up a mealworm (since crickets aren't allowed where I live) and give it to her or go with a smaller worm type?
You could crush the head and place the mealworm in the webbing. That way, it will still wriggle, but it can't bite the spider to mature into a beetle.

Flurff

Arachnopeon
You could crush the head and place the mealworm in the webbing. That way, it will still wriggle, but it can't bite the spider to mature into a beetle.
Okay, thank you. So she will be fine until she starts to web? I just caught her this morning, and she seems pretty content to just chill in a corner for now.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay, thank you. So she will be fine until she starts to web? I just caught her this morning, and she seems pretty content to just chill in a corner for now.
Once she has the right setup -- assuming it's not actually a mature male -- she should web.

Flurff

Arachnopeon
UPDATE:

Okay so I've done some more research and I think I miss ID-ed her. I think she's actually a Tegenaria domestica--and I think "she" is actually a HE. His/her spinnerets aren't very long, they're pretty short, and he/she has been wandering around the mason jar trying to get out.

He/she has bands on his/her legs that I didn't see before, but I was examining him/her this morning and I found them.
Now what?

(His new name is Edward.)

Thanks,
Flurff

(EDIT: Did a little more research and I've come to the conclusion that I don't know how to tell a male spider from a female. I'll post pictures of him/her to see if anyone more experienced than I can tell me what he/she is.)

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
In keeping with this thread, I went stomping the woods yesterday. BONANZA! It's Agelenid time to the max! But this year the webs are huge! I saw around 500 in about an hour well over 1 foot across. My pard and I spent a happy hour catching grasshoppers and feeding the little beauties with her patiently taking videos. Then we discovered the video program she used is proprietary and we can't extract it outside Facebook. GRRRR.

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
I’m not sure about Eratigena, but Tegenaria males will have longer legs and a narrower abdomen. They’re also smaller overall than mature females. IIRC this genus does not have particularly bulbous pedipalps in the males, which can make it harder to tell.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Okay so I've done some more research and I think I miss ID-ed her. I think she's actually a Tegenaria domestica--and I think "she" is actually a HE. His/her spinnerets aren't very long, they're pretty short, and he/she has been wandering around the mason jar trying to get out.
If you can get a shot of both sides (the dorsal or back side and the ventral or underside) it can likely be identified. The ventral images are a good way to distinguish between Eratigena atrica, E. agrestis, and Tegenaria domestica.

Did a little more research and I've come to the conclusion that I don't know how to tell a male spider from a female. I'll post pictures of him/her to see if anyone more experienced than I can tell me what he/she is.
Mature males of all three of these are pretty obvious. In addition to looking "leggy" in comparison to females and juveniles, the ends of their palps look like little boxing gloves. If you find a mature male, I'd recommend releasing him, as he won't have much of an appetite, likely won't web, and is only interested in finding a female.

Flurff

Arachnopeon
It has a pretty big abdomen, so I'm pretty convinced it's either a juvenile or a female, and its' palps look normal--not like boxing gloves, that is. I'm pretty sure all the mature males are dead by now--since it's early spring/late winter, and I read that they die in early winter or late fall.

I will get a picture of those as soon as I can though.

I came home today to find her (just going to call it a her for now, she looks like a female to me) having something of a seizure, stretching her legs and squeezing her body or something? I freaked out a bit but I knew she could be molting so I looked up videos of a T. domestica/"house spider" molting. When I went back to check on her, she'd flipped over onto her back so I'd say that's a sure sign of molting, right? At least, for a T that's a sign of molting. Don't know with a true spider.
Hopefully it turns out okay. If she is in fact molting, I will be very excited. I'll keep checking up on her, and keep y'all updated.

I'm starting to get worried, she's not moving at all. How long does it usually take for a spider to molt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flurff

Arachnopeon
Sad update:

Unfortunately, Ella died late in the afternoon.

I think she was going to molt, but just couldn't make it. :( She's been in the same position for about 5 hours now, on her back, with her legs not in death curl but still a bit scrunched up. She hasn't moved at all, and in doing more research about molting and how long it takes, I came to the conclusion that she had passed.

I have not disturbed her, nor will I until tomorrow morning to ensure that I do not stress her should she still be alive. (In the event that she is, I will make sure to post it.)

Thanks to everyone who answered and gave me advice--I look forward to sharing my future (and hopefully happier) experiences in arachnokeeping on here.

Flurff