So how long do these pokies take to molt anyway?

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I'm used to my slings going off food for a few days, then molting, then eating again in a few days. These 1-1.5" pokies of mine went off food a little more than a week ago and they don't even look like they are considering a molt - not much darker, no major web spinning. What's the norm for these guys? Any help would be appreciated.

Gail

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've never found them to be especially heavy eaters, except for that ravenous period following a molt, although slings are generally bigger eaters. Also, I never notice any physical signs (such as darkening) with this species that a molt is coming. Since old-world t's lack the patch of urticating hairs, it's usually harder to see any changes through the skin, if it's possible at all. Now that I think about it, Im not sure if I've ever seen any darkening with any of my old-worlders. Could be me just not paying attention, but it's so readily apparent with those with urticating hair, you'd think I'd see it with the others as well, if it happens.

Wade

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
I'm used to my slings going off food for a few days, then molting, then eating again in a few days. These 1-1.5" pokies of mine went off food a little more than a week ago and they don't even look like they are considering a molt - not much darker, no major web spinning. What's the norm for these guys? Any help would be appreciated.

Gail
I've found them a bit slow in this department, Gail. At that size, mine often fasted 3 weeks (or even more) before molting.

Joy

Devildoll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
both my P. ornatas are psychotic eaters..... no matter what.
they usually eat till the day before a molt....

i have one i got as a 1" sling in late may that is now 5.5" maybe larger... she's molting now.

maybe it's something in the detroit water..... cause i have an unstoppable appetite too;)

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pokeys

Pokey shed rates depend on 1) size 2) feeding and 3) temperature among others.

I find that the majority of my pokeys grow at a rather rapid rate including: formosa, regalis, fasciata, rufilata, even striata. Lower growers are: P. pederseni, P. smithi and of course P. subfusca because they are kept at lower temperatures. I've matured out male pokey's in a year. Conditions: 77-82 degrees, warmer during summer and "well fed".

My P. striata purchased as a 1/2" ling in 10/01 is now a 5" GORGOUS female (pix soon as she hardens!).

N-Joy
Midwest Art

smithikeeper

Arachnopeon
My 2" regalis just molted this morning after a 17 day fasting. My other one has been fasting for 19 days and should molt anytime soon.

Roy