So Cal Scorpion ID help?

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So I found a new place with trails and what not in a Chaparral climate about 20 minutes from my house.It was a beautiful place,with like 6 square miles of hills,lakes,and dirt.There was lots of green plants there at this time of year.It was a blast.I ended up finding a 3.5" Jeruselum Cricket that was frieken' huge!As well as a desert millipede,a Scolopendra Polymorpha(see Myriapods section),and a scorpion that's a first for me.I couldn't ID it myself,so I figured I would see if you guys could.It's really tiny,so it's hard to get pics.It's like .75".I am hoping it's a youngin,but I have a feeling it's probably an adult of a really small species.Anyways,here is a picture.It was found under a rock.

http://s976.photobucket.com/albums/...on=view&current=2011_0212Anthonystuff0012.jpg

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Looks like it probably is Superstitionia donensis

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's S donensis. They max out at a little more than an inch. It could very well be an adult. Give it room to dig and give it moderate humidity and it will do fine. They are hard to find but not uncommon in the wild. They will eat surpisingly large food items. That little one could probably handle a .25-.5" cricket. They will also take prekilled crickets as well. Just remove any leftovers before they mold.

John

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sweet,thanks!So are they at all communal?And any ideas on sexing for breeding?Thanks for you help guys!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm hoping to go back thursday to find more.These are the first scorps Ive seen for a few months.It's starting to warm up here,so there should helots of other scorpions coming out as well very soon!

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sweet,thanks!So are they at all communal?And any ideas on sexing for breeding?Thanks for you help guys!
They are not communal, I witnesses canablism in the captive populations as well as in wild populations. Males have a lomger tail in comparison to the body than females. Males are also slimmer in build. Breeding is difficult because unless you have males and females to see what I'm talking about, sexing can be hard. Babies are also very small and grow slowly. You'll be needing week old crickets for many months.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice finds! I want to see a 3" plus cricket! And the S. donensis too. I've only seen pics so far. Yeah!

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nice finds! I want to see a 3" plus cricket! And the S. donensis too. I've only seen pics so far. Yeah!
When we meet up,we'll have to go to this place and look for more.I'm going this weekend again as well.I'd like a pair of S.Donensis(so 1 more of the opposite sex) and around 10-15 S.Polymorpha.I'll pm you about meeting up.I'm soooo excited!!!{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When we meet up,we'll have to go to this place and look for more.I'm going this weekend again as well.I'd like a pair of S.Donensis(so 1 more of the opposite sex) and around 10-15 S.Polymorpha.I'll pm you about meeting up.I'm soooo excited!!!{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D{D
So I looked in the S.Donensis delicup today to find it dead:(:(:(I really want to find a couple more,but if I cannot keep them alive I will not catch anymore.Anyone have any idea what might have went wrong.I had it on 3" of moist coco fibre with a piece of back.I think the coco fibre may have been a little to wet.I think next time I'll take some dirt where I find them as well and see how that goes.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So I looked in the S.Donensis delicup today to find it dead:(:(:(I really want to find a couple more,but if I cannot keep them alive I will not catch anymore.Anyone have any idea what might have went wrong.I had it on 3" of moist coco fibre with a piece of back.I think the coco fibre may have been a little to wet.I think next time I'll take some dirt where I find them as well and see how that goes.
Dang, what a shame. Yes, good idea to just use whatever materials you found it in for the time being. Btw, do you have a pic of that potato bug you caught? 3 in. is massive lol

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a picture on my moms iPhone.I'll try to post it up.And I will try that.