So angry.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So, an LPS I've raged about before.... has done it again. :mad:

My P. irminia sling died. And I was super disappointed, so I went to see about replacing it, since I knew they had 7 more.

When I got there and looked, they had CLEARLY been neglected, left in the same spot without any care for nearly a month.

Bone dry, probably not fed, no light.

Five were dead. Two weren't looking so good.

I know it's said that we shouldn't buy from poor LPS, because it supports them, but I really want to go back and rescue the two living ones.

What would YOU do? Is there ANYONE to report them to?

:(

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If it were me, i'd go back, buy them, & just hold my breath that they live.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want to, Niki. So badly. I think I will.

Problem is, even their sub-adult and adult T's are poorly cared for.

I posted a review in the pet store forum, feel free to see why they make me rage by reading it.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I personally wouldnt buy the last 2.. Though it is very sad they are letting them die.. :( But as you said.. That is supporting them..

Also.. I doubt anyone will listen to you if you try to report them.. In "their" eye.. They are only neglecting bugs.. :rolleyes: If only there were a law against it..

Though if there is a place to report an LPS for neglect to reptile, dogs, cats, birds...pretty much every animal in their store?

If you know.. Send me a PM so I can report my LPS..

Anyways.. Sorry for your loss.. :(

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Please don't buy the last 2. not only are you supporting a store thats known to take sub-par care of its animals you'd be encouraging them to bring in more, just because the last batch sold. in rescuing 2 you could be condemning more to a similar fate at the hands of your lps. it may be hard to do but it really is for the best of any future animals. either they sit in the store and die and are not replaced because they didn't sell well and they had the rest of them die, or, you buy the last 2, support the place, show them that there is indeed a market for them, and they bring more in. it may seem like a rescue but it's not. pet shops are businesses. money is the bottom line. if the animals sell they make money, it encourages them to bring more in, and possibly mistreat them in a similar manner. if they don't sell they don't make money, if they die they're less likely to be replaced. it may sound cold, or uncaring, but I can tell you it's not. but the fastest way to change it is to not buy from them. it hurts their bottom line, either they stop carrying them or they learn to take care of them so they survive longer. you buying one only encourages them to bring in more and keep them the same way. as far as reporting...it really depends, but if they care for anything with a back bone the way they care for tarantulas im sure theres something the aspca can do. if anything cute and fluffy is being mistreated or neglected im certain there is something they will do. mammals and birds will get the aspca into action. unfortunately inverts reptiles and fish dont tend to get the same response. the aspca is the way to go, they often work with law enforcement, and in some places are a branch of law enforcement. they are not a radical anti-companion animal group. I've worked closely with the aspca a few times and it's always been a relatively painless experience. good luck.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, Red, I appreciate it. :)

It's hard to know what to do in this situation. Some of my best T's have come from that store, I thought of them as rescues.

No matter how many times I complain to their staff, nothing changes. It's very frustrating. :wall:

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't understand the concept of keeping them in poor conditions as opposed to taking care of them properly. They're losing business by killing off the spiders. Do they think it's not their fault? Give them another chewing out and don't buy anything from them. Maybe you can talk to the manager or owner and say you might buy their stuff if they'd keep it properly.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They don't seem to think they're doing anything wrong. That's how they always respond to my complaints. They treat me as though I have no idea what I'm talking about, when I'm going by COMMON KNOWLEDGE, and heck, common sense.

Animals die without water. It's simple. So why is it that every single time I go in, nearly all of the T's dishes and cages are bone dry?

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
sorry about your sling.
i get a little wound up every time i see a poorly cared for T. i'd be just as torn up as you are.

but sad as it is to say it, don't buy them. i'm getting a little upset with myself even telling you this - especially since i love my P irminias. but don't do it.

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sorry about your sling.
i get a little wound up every time i see a poorly cared for T. i'd be just as torn up as you are.

but sad as it is to say it, don't buy them. i'm getting a little upset with myself even telling you this - especially since i love my P irminias. but don't do it.
:( It's a screwed if I do, screwed if I don't sort of choice. Slings aside, there are some larger T's that I could - ..... agh, I keep trying to tell myself I'd be doing the right thing if I rescued another, but it really would just be supporting the stupid LPS. :wall:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kori,

I see you're in La vista, is the pet store you're talking about Paradise Cove? I've been there many times even perchased my C. bertae there (she recently passed away after only a couple of months) and yes, they take very poor care of their inverts (and other animals). I was going to do some trading with them with the T. gigas slings I have but I reconsidered, because I don't want my slings to end up in that kind of care. :(

I'm very sorry about your P. irminia sling.

farrisbaharom

Arachnopeon
yep - no win either way

:( It's a screwed if I do, screwed if I don't sort of choice. Slings aside, there are some larger T's that I could - ..... agh, I keep trying to tell myself I'd be doing the right thing if I rescued another, but it really would just be supporting the stupid LPS. :wall:
.. and you'd be right.
and even though i KNOW what's waiting for me when i get there i still can't stop myself from going into the exotics section.

have been disappointed every time, but i still do it. :mad:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
.. and you'd be right.
and even though i KNOW what's waiting for me when i get there i still can't stop myself from going into the exotics section.

have been disappointed every time, but i still do it. :mad:
Like I said, some of my best T's have come from that awful place, but mostly I just want to chew the manager's face off and feed it to his underfed T's.