so about those tarantula slings at petco......

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm up in a different part of the state visiting my brother and his family with and decided to walk through the local Petco. They are still offering the tarantula slings, though i did not see any of the old worlds still as possible offerings, as they all were introductory T's. Also i would say Petco is really stepping up their game as the reptiles were all on proper substrates as well as this one had a more knowledgeable staff.

I'll admit i know much more about Ts and amphibians now then most reptiles but i was impressed.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
they were being kept in infamous containers which i do think should be shorter but even these were kept on their side, inside one of the tanks with some rather damp sub.

Attachments

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Yes,it depends on the particular Petco store.Some are better then others.
But check this out.Notice anything strange?

Attachments

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Yes,it depends on the particular Petco store.Some are better then others.
But check this out.Notice anything strange?
Yikes! An A genticulata pic with a L parahybana common name and a King Baboon common name.

I was going to say to the OP, there are good Petco's out there but they tend to be the exception rather than the rule. Some get lucky having an employee who knows arachnids, most don't. I don't think the corporate office cares about much other than profits. Having been in the industry long ago, the money is in grooming, then supplies, and finally the actual pets.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I never knew the Queen had stripes...o_O
Also, it looks from that last pic they're still selling OW....

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I didn't see the green "tropical" offerings at the one i was at but that is disappointing

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah I somewhat "like" those crappy Petco enclosures with all of their "descriptions" (Tropical, Temperate, Common names etc) it's like entering into a McDonald, where the first thing you smell is that disgusting stench and after a minute you read those crappy names ;-)

It's like someone that, on crack, had a "full immersion" of five minutes in this site, and after He/She thinks to be the super-duper He-Man of T's lol

I want one of those enclosures for my "horror & useless garbage" private museum.

Grimsin

Arachnopeon
I got my self an Avic. Minatrix a few days ago at Petco. It was labeled as an avic. avic. Funny A. Minatrix is not even one of the options on the back of the containers lol. You never know what you'll find in there. Ive started checking every Petco I see lol.

Grimsin

Arachnopeon
I didn't see the green "tropical" offerings at the one i was at but that is disappointing
Try a desert state... I have looked around Arizona and Nevada and all we seem to get are tropical T's at our Petco's. I have never seen anything but the trop ones around here.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Of the 3 Petcos, within a 30 min. drive, none carry invertebrates.
A local reptile shop used to carry Ts, but were kept horribly. G. rosea on sopping wet eco earth, no hide with1/2 dozen crickets crawling about. :(:vomit:

Icculus

Arachnosquire
Here's a link to the specis they now carry.
http://about.petco.com/2016-04-28-Petco-Expands-Tarantula-Offerings-to-Include-25-Different-Breeds
I bought my son a avic avic from petco last april. it was about 3 1/2 dls and was kept in an aquarium. a couple months later I went back to the same petco and the girl helping me told me they were only allowed to sell slings now because of a new law. I believe she said it was a state law (I live in Massachusetts) but i could be wrong. i bought a lasiodora itabunae(1") in october and felt bad about the way it was being kept. they put foam in those containers, which are only commerical spice containers with a modified lid, so it had nowhere to burrow and had smushed itself in the corner behind a leaf. i also went to a petco near where I work in nh and noticed one of the containers had no mark identifying what specis and saw a Rosie about 4" still being kept in that container. not even enough room to streach out it's legs

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I sort of understand how green equals rain forest, and perhaps that red might mean desert or hot.

But... did they really go GREEN for OW, and RED for NW??

"No! We're getting lil Jimmy a green-labelled spider. Green for GO, idiot.
Now which breed of Pelinobius muticus are we getting? The 'King' one or the 'Giant' one? I'm partial to the one with stripes."

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
Here's a link to the specis they now carry.
http://about.petco.com/2016-04-28-Petco-Expands-Tarantula-Offerings-to-Include-25-Different-Breeds
I bought my son a avic avic from petco last april. it was about 3 1/2 dls and was kept in an aquarium. a couple months later I went back to the same petco and the girl helping me told me they were only allowed to sell slings now because of a new law. I believe she said it was a state law (I live in Massachusetts) but i could be wrong. i bought a lasiodora itabunae(1") in october and felt bad about the way it was being kept. they put foam in those containers, which are only commerical spice containers with a modified lid, so it had nowhere to burrow and had smushed itself in the corner behind a leaf. i also went to a petco near where I work in nh and noticed one of the containers had no mark identifying what specis and saw a Rosie about 4" still being kept in that container. not even enough room to streach out it's legs
That articles description of Ts... :rofl:
I don't know wether to laugh or cry. "Some with long hair to track prey, and some with colour to make them stand out as dangerous predators!" o_O
And one third of their stock is still OW. :banghead:
Some ten year old is going to get bitten by his pretty black and white spider and end up in the ER. Then the lawsuit to end all lawsuits will begin.
Tell me, @Chris LXXIX, what will it be like when North America takes an example from Italian pet laws?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Tell me, @Chris LXXIX, what will it be like when North America takes an example from Italian pet laws?
Ah ah, I don't know :-s

I mean, here save for that dumb move with the Arachnid ban of 2003 you can own almost everything, from roaches of all kinds to centipedes, stick/leaf (<-- dafaq?) insects, ants, frogs etc we have as well good, specialized in "exotic" (read weird, in Italy) vets: yeah, no venomous allowed, I can't take (not that I would, uh) a Theraphosidae or my scolopendra to those quite sexy white dressed Ladies but still.

Arachnids, aside for the hot ones (so not a S.calceatum or a 'Pokie' but Atrax robustus, for instance) slowly "burrowed" and returned in fairs/expo.
Protected by CITES ones require a CITES, signed by authorities, paper, always free for customers.

Aside for jokes things IMO aren't that bad here :)

CarbonBasedLifeform

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Petco selling OW Ts? All we need is for some idiot Petco employee selling a clueless customer a pokie and getting bit. Then comes the bans to make the concerned parents sleep better at night :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Petco selling OW Ts? All we need is for some idiot Petco employee selling a clueless customer a pokie and getting bit. Then comes the bans to make the concerned parents sleep better at night :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
Let's be realistic, though. Slings aren't exactly easy to keep alive for a brand new keeper. The vast majority of these spiders will end up dying, especially with the care sheets that are provided for the spiders. It's unfortunate that these spiders will be dying, but very fortunate in the sense that an unsuspecting kid will be bitten by a hot tarantula.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'm pretty sure that Petco pulled all the OW slings from its Tarantula Hut line. I while back I did send an email the Petco's in house counsel department telling them that this was a bad idea (especially without warnings and posting an article on their website making it seem that every tarantula bit = a bee sting). I have since noticed that they have pulled all OW's from there Temperate offerings. I have not yet had a chance to see their new Tropical labels though.

Icculus

Arachnosquire
I sort of understand how green equals rain forest, and perhaps that red might mean desert or hot.

But... did they really go GREEN for OW, and RED for NW??

"No! We're getting lil Jimmy a green-labelled spider. Green for GO, idiot.
Now which breed of Pelinobius muticus are we getting? The 'King' one or the 'Giant' one? I'm partial to the one with stripes."
I'm the actually container they have the scientific name under the common name. but that doesn't mean they're correct. I'm very new to the hobby so don't ask me:)
I'm pretty sure that Petco pulled all the OW slings from its Tarantula Hut line. I while back I did send an email the Petco's in house counsel department telling them that this was a bad idea (especially without warnings and posting an article on their website making it seem that every tarantula bit = a bee sting). I have since noticed that they have pulled all OW's from there Temperate offerings. I have not yet had a chance to see their new Tropical labels though.
The link I posted above with specis list is from April of this year

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'm the actually container they have the scientific name under the common name. but that doesn't mean they're correct. I'm very new to the hobby so don't ask me:)

The link I posted above with specis list is from April of this year
Since April, they have changed what they offer. I know that since the list was published in April, a number of people have expressed to them that OW's are a really bad idea. I think they listened.