So a Question About Super Worms...

Verneph

Arachnosquire
So earlier I offered one of my T's (an A. Avicularia I think) a super worm. She tried to go after it, but she ended up letting it slip away for whatever reason and before I could retrieve it the worm had escaped underneath one of the pieces of wood in her container and burrowed into the substrate. I tried digging around a bit to find the thing but I have no clue where it went off to.

My question is this: Is this worm going to be an issue if it's in there? I'd rather not rip apart my T's substrate if I don't have to (that is, more than I already have). I've been told that they can turn into flies eventually, but I also know they need water and my T's substrate usually stays fairly dry.

Is there any way to draw the worm back out, or should I just leave it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Not all of my Ts will eat superworms or mealworms. I usually try tong-feeding those that do, and if they don't want it right then, I withdraw the food. I've had quite a few get away, too.

If the T wants it, it will dig it up itself. Otherwise, it might turn into a big irridescent greeny-black beetle that you can retrieve later.

I've fished a few of them out of tanks before, with no harm to the Ts that I can find.

Marga

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Not all of my Ts will eat superworms or mealworms. I usually try tong-feeding those that do, and if they don't want it right then, I withdraw the food. I've had quite a few get away, too.

If the T wants it, it will dig it up itself. Otherwise, it might turn into a big irridescent greeny-black beetle that you can retrieve later.

I've fished a few of them out of tanks before, with no harm to the Ts that I can find.

Marga
She's eaten one before, so I know she'll go for it if she's hungry and given the chance. I'm only concerned she won't dig it up because she's arboreal and they generally don't dig. But if the worm won't cause my T any harm then I won't worry about it.

Meecht

Arachnosquire
Superworms (Zophobas morio) won't turn into a fly. Like captmarga said, they'll turn into a type of darkling beetle when it undergoes metamorphosis.

There is a possibility that it could die and rot, but I have yet to see that happen. My roommate has actually taken about a half dozen of mine and put them in old spice jars with no substrate and they've pupated with no issue.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Marga
Yup yup, this.

Should've seen how confused I was before I figured out where the beetles had come from! {D

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Superworms (Zophobas morio) won't turn into a fly. Like captmarga said, they'll turn into a type of darkling beetle when it undergoes metamorphosis.

There is a possibility that it could die and rot, but I have yet to see that happen. My roommate has actually taken about a half dozen of mine and put them in old spice jars with no substrate and they've pupated with no issue.
Should I keep the substrate any damper than usual so it doesn't dehydrate then? Also, if it rots, is there any way I can tell?

Meecht

Arachnosquire
Avicularias need moist substrate, correct? If so, then the moisture level should be fine. Even if it was dry, I'd think it would still be okay. I think there's still one crawling around in my G. rosea's tank from a couple days ago.

Honestly, I don't know how you could tell if it rots. With sufficient substrate, it would bury itself enough to where you probably couldn't smell it.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Avicularias need moist substrate, correct? If so, then the moisture level should be fine. Even if it was dry, I'd think it would still be okay. I think there's still one crawling around in my G. rosea's tank from a couple days ago.

Honestly, I don't know how you could tell if it rots. With sufficient substrate, it would bury itself enough to where you probably couldn't smell it.
If that's the case would it even matter if it rots at all? Would bacteria be an issue?

My T doesn't require moist substrate so much as higher humidity. This does lead to some moisture in the substrate but her tank is well ventilated so it dries very fast.

Meecht

Arachnosquire
I'd think the superworm would be fine in the substrate. To keep mine alive, I'll put a bit of carrot in their container as food and moisture, but I'm not sure if this would be recommended for an Avic tank due to the possibility of mold growth.

As far as the bacteria issue, though, I'm not sure. I have noticed several of mine will come to the top of their substrate at night, but whether this is due to the dryness of the substrate or a natural reaction I can't say for certain.

It definitely shouldn't die within the next day or two, so you could keep an eye out the next couple nights and see if it comes out of the substrate.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I left a mealworm in my A. metallicas enclosure that dug in and she was eating it later that night so... Your T should be able to find it I would think .

Drakk

Arachnosquire
Because its an avic or really because its arboreal I would not worry too much.
I’ve heard stories of superworms actually damaging T's that stay on the ground though I’ve never had that happen myself since they will eat other small creatures if they become too dehydrated inc other superworms which I have seen b4 I got the balance right in my culture.
If it dies from dehydration then I don’t see a rot or mite issue but I was under the impression that all avics preferred a rather humid tank?

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Because its an avic or really because its arboreal I would not worry too much.
I’ve heard stories of superworms actually damaging T's that stay on the ground though I’ve never had that happen myself since they will eat other small creatures if they become too dehydrated inc other superworms which I have seen b4 I got the balance right in my culture.
If it dies from dehydration then I don’t see a rot or mite issue but I was under the impression that all avics preferred a rather humid tank?
They do, it's just my T's substrate tends to dry quickly post misting. Since that's where the worm is currently hiding I thought that might be an issue.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Don't worry about it. If you see it, remove it. If not, well, you may see it emerge as a beetle one day if it doesn't die, and it will be much easier to remove. I certainly wouldn't try and feed it or change the humidity/moisture just for the feeders sake.

I doubt very much that your avic will dig to get at it, as they tend to stay off the ground. In fact, there should be no harm in digging around or comepletely removing the sub if you absolutely feel like you need to get it out, as these guys usually never touch the ground anyway. It would be like changing the lid of a terrestrial Ts enclosure.

Verneph

Arachnosquire
Don't worry about it. If you see it, remove it. If not, well, you may see it emerge as a beetle one day if it doesn't die, and it will be much easier to remove. I certainly wouldn't try and feed it or change the humidity/moisture just for the feeders sake.

I doubt very much that your avic will dig to get at it, as they tend to stay off the ground. In fact, there should be no harm in digging around or comepletely removing the sub if you absolutely feel like you need to get it out, as these guys usually never touch the ground anyway. It would be like changing the lid of a terrestrial Ts enclosure.
Well, if it isn't an issue than I probably won't bother and just let it be. My T got pretty stressed out when I was digging around looking for the worm earlier (I had to move some of her climbing wood), so I'll let things go for her sake.