Snouted Cobra

K-TRAIN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i dont want to sound stupid, studying to be a herpetologist and all, but how dangerous is the snouted cobra? i kno its deadly, but i mean like how much of a chance is there that you'll die?

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont want to sound stupid, studying to be a herpetologist and all, but how dangerous is the snouted cobra? i kno its deadly, but i mean like how much of a chance is there that you'll die?
You don't get stupid questions mate, only stupid answers.

Snouted Cobras have a rather potent neurotoxin, with some cytotoxic effects at the bite site. A large Snouted Cobra has a massive yield as well. So yes, a bite from a Snouted Cobra is a definite medical emergency, and could (without medical treatment) most certainly be fatal.
They aren't very keen on defending themselves, preferring flight to fight. But the moment it is on the defensive it remains dedicated to the idea. Its impressive to see, as it is a bloody big snake :)

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pictures of the cobra I would love to get a snake what is a good starter snake?

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For a good starter Elapid, Snouties and Monocled cobras.
For a good starter venomous, a Copperhead is not a bad choice.
For a good starter snake, a RTB or a corn snake.

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For a good starter Elapid, Snouties and Monocled cobras.
For a good starter venomous, a Copperhead is not a bad choice.
For a good starter snake, a RTB or a corn snake.
Newbie question: What's RTB?

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mate, that is one thing i am jealous of, we cant keep any exotic reptiles in australia but cobras are one i would love to keep. They are beautiful

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
some real beauties here, mate

i love those snakes.

but given the size of my home -really small- and the fact that it's in an appartment building with loads of other people; potential victims, although I wouldn't miss a few if they got offed by a big whoppin' nuke snake {D

nah, I'll stick to my docile Gathers for the time being.

but IF -and it's a real big IF- I ever venture into the realm you guys are in (venomenous Snake heaven) it's going to be Trimeresurus albolabris or Bites gabonica.

these 2 are in my opinion THE prettiest snakes that are venomenous.

but those cobra's sure are pretty. very elegant snake!

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you have some really incredible animals sir . that monicled cobra is just unbeleivibly beautiful . it's an albino isnt it ?

i used to keep hots many years ago , but have since gotten out of them . i still keep a pretty nice collection of nonvenomus snakes and have been thinking about getting back into hots .

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to have a stonefish and blue ring octopus. The stonefish grew to be around a foot. They are the deadliest fish in the world. And I actually bred the blue ring octopus. I ended up destroying around 100 of their babies after they were a few weeks old, because I couldn't keep them all and didn't want the responsibility of giving them to other people.
I think that is apsolutly amazing! I guess owning a blue-ring was always a childhood dream of mine, but I never thought you could acctually do so. How was it housed/secured? How did you go about caring for such a creature? And were on earth did you get one, much less two and breed them?

And while were on the topic of hots, I can't help but wonder what it feels like keeping a black mamba in your house...If it were me I'd always be on edge. ~ Rex

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, since we are on the topic of cobars, I've always wanted to ask this question.. I forgot where I heard it from, but is it true that cobras will never bite with their hood down? :confused: I'm guessing that it's some kind of myth or just false information, but who knows..

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok, since we are on the topic of cobars, I've always wanted to ask this question.. I forgot where I heard it from, but is it true that cobras will never bite with their hood down? :confused: I'm guessing that it's some kind of myth or just false information, but who knows..
oh they will defintly bite either way,if they feel threatend ofcourse,i had a het for albino monacle female venomoid(she was a rescue) and she would bite either way hood up/down she was very defensive,other wise once she was out of the cage she was fine, but only sometimes she would press her mouth against my wrist and then she would bite down hard:eek: then let go like nothing happened,plus were i used to work they had "hot" cobras ive worked w/them aswell, diff.sp. and some were very quick to bite with their hoods up or down. very interesting snakes,and pretty smart too:clap: