Snouted Cobra

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys.

Lucky guy!! I would love to catch a Rattlesnake. Ask your "friend" what Timbers are like in general :)

Housing is a number one priority. Nothing but 100% secure is good enough

Timbers in general arent really THAT bad. they arent OVERLY aggressive unless backed into a corner. they would rather run...however once they are backed into a corner...they can be pretty mean. they have very calculated strikes. they dont just lash out repeatedly. they want to make sure they get you with the first one so as not to waste venom.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awesome pictures ever been bit by anything?

Unfortunately, yes.

A puff adder, a boomslang and a rinkhals.

The puff adder bite happened through absolute complacency and a belief in my own immortality. The snake in question was a five footer used for milking. The snake was always sedate, and you kinda get used to it doing nothing. One morning I removed it and just placed it on a shelf near the cage while I was cleaning. The moment I got within range it bit me about three inches above the knee. The pain is indescribable and not something I would recommend being bit by. I spent two weeks in hospital, a whole lot of surgery and it took me around six months to learn how to walk properly again.

The boomslang bite happened during a demonstration. I lost control of the snake trying to keep it away from a child that ran forward to take a closer look. I obviously startled it, and it bit me just below the neck. A rather painless bite.

The rinkhals bit me near the end of last year. I was feeding the snake and it decided to come and fetch its own food. It bit me on the hand. It was a good bite that almost killed me, but I think it was more shock than the venom itself. I spent a few days in hospital.

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
beautiful snakes! and like green_bottle_04 said its illegal to keep hots here in TN so i can only dream about keeping them :(

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bitis are SUCH beautiful snakes. My personal fav' is the B. nasicornis "rhinoceras viper," but puffers and gaboons are also stand-out beauties.

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Wow. That Rinkhals has got to be the most beautiful snake I've seen. Very cool. Glad there is people like you working with hots, so people like me can see them.
Thanks,
Scott

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a black mamba! wow dude respect:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The puff adder bite happened through absolute complacency and a belief in my own immortality. The snake in question was a five footer used for milking. The snake was always sedate, and you kinda get used to it doing nothing. One morning I removed it and just placed it on a shelf near the cage while I was cleaning. The moment I got within range it bit me about three inches above the knee. The pain is indescribable and not something I would recommend being bit by. I spent two weeks in hospital, a whole lot of surgery and it took me around six months to learn how to walk properly again.

The boomslang bite happened during a demonstration. I lost control of the snake trying to keep it away from a child that ran forward to take a closer look. I obviously startled it, and it bit me just below the neck. A rather painless bite.

The rinkhals bit me near the end of last year. I was feeding the snake and it decided to come and fetch its own food. It bit me on the hand. It was a good bite that almost killed me, but I think it was more shock than the venom itself. I spent a few days in hospital.
How long have you kept vens?

Did you freehandle the boomslang in a classroom?
I remember your comment on my rattler picture and after reading your bite reports I must say that was a odd comment.

/Lelle

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gorgeous snakes, I would love to be able to keep hots. I may get into it one day after the kids are grown or old enough to receive some proper training...until then I admire them through the pics I see posted on the forums.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nou wat soek jy daar? :p
Dit maak nie saak nie !

:D

ps We used to live in Kempton Park, on the way home from school we would walk through the veld near our home. Me [ 13] and bro [14] caught about 15 Rinkahls in 1979 alone. We used to put on the swimming goggles and wind them up with sticks so they would spit at us.....seems unbelievable that we were not bitten. Now in the UK I have not seen a wild reptile for about 15 years, and that was a bloody slow worm.
Great pics sir !

D

Last edited:

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ps We used to live in Kempton Park, on the way home from school we would walk through the veld near our home. Me [ 13] and bro [14] caught about 15 Rinkahls in 1979 alone. We used to put on the swimming goggles and wind them up with sticks so they would spit at us.....seems unbelievable that we were not bitten. Now in the UK I have not seen a wild reptile for about 15 years, and that was a bloody slow worm.
Great pics sir !
Where in Kempton did you live?
Small world this, huh?

If you want to see some wild, scaly okes, take a trip up to Leyton. There are plenty in the pubs. (just joking)

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where in Kempton did you live?
Small world this, huh?

If you want to see some wild, scaly okes, take a trip up to Leyton. There are plenty in the pubs. (just joking)
I lived in Bonaero Park , quite near Kempton, I would have gone to St Pierre Van Ryneveld school had we not moved back to Blighty !
Yes I also lived in Leyton[stone] , :eek:
Are you in Kempton ot thereabouts ?:D

Last edited:

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to be. Lived near Esselen Park.

Now I am a bush baby :D
Whereabouts ?
I'm guessing near Kruger in the lowveld ....
The wildest part we used to visit was near Bethlehem in the OFS , chasing Dassies and discovering scorpions - a dream for any 10 year old.
:)