Smuggler Caught Shipping tarantulas in LA

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Someone in LA got caught smuggling tarantulas. The F&W added the Brachy to the list just so they could nail this guy harder I am sure. I don't think brown boxing is a good thing but I feel sorry for the guy as he was just shipping some captive bred brachy I am sure and now he faces possible time in prison.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/california/ci_16769370

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I don't feel sorry for him, smuggling is smuggling. Follow the law! I only feel sorry for the tarantulas, I hope they were cared for properly.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Yeah I feel bad for him. Transporting of any kind can be stressfull to the spiders. I just don't see how they can have him put away for so long.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
People these days i'll tell you :( I hope the T's are ok but man i seldom hear about this stuff.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
People these days i'll tell you :( I hope the T's are ok but man i seldom hear about this stuff.
Yeah hopefully there not destroyed.This kinda thing does happen tho..It wasnt to long ago that a very big dealer in the UK got nailed bringing spiders back in a suitcase.
-Chris

Neill

Arachnopeon
Sven is one of the most respected dealers in Europe, and you can be sure that all his animals are of the top order, and a gentleman to boot.. however, it does seem that he chanced his arm here, and tried to circumvent the law.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
As i wrote in the other smuggler thread, Many of the species we keep where once smuggled.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only reason I can find in any of the three articles posted that the man was arrested for, was wildlife smuggling. Since the only tarantulas mentioned were Brachypelma species in straws(which would make them CB), how are they arresting him for breaking CITES? I thought it was fine to trade and sell them if they were C(aptive)B(red). They even went so far as to entrap him by have the Fish & Wildlife agents pose as customers!:mad: Why on Earth have they gone to all this trouble over CB spiders?

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only reason I can find in any of the three articles posted that the man was arrested for, was wildlife smuggling. Since the only tarantulas mentioned were Brachypelma species in straws(which would make them CB), how are they arresting him for breaking CITES? I thought it was fine to trade and sell them if they were C(aptive)B(red). They even went so far as to entrap him by have the Fish & Wildlife agents pose as customers!:mad: Why on Earth have they gone to all this trouble over CB spiders?
Im wondering the same thing but I guess he's broke the law by exporting without the proper documents. There's a certain irony in getting arrested for supplying (N&S) American spiders back to America.

I can't figure why Sven has done this, he must surely be aware of the laws. But as Neil said earlier, Sven is a very well respected captive breeder. He takes the time to help people and supplies very good stock. Ive personally purchased off him and received 20 GBB in straws - probably some of the best packing Ive received! He also has done talks at the BTS lectures.

I'm hoping there's an element of bad press here but it doesnt quite sound like it. I just hope Sven doesnt see the punishments that are quoted because CB should be encouraged and he is obviously a big player in this field.

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
I'm confused what did he do that was wrong, was it because he smuggled the spiders on his person? What if he shipped them would that be ok? Is it just the species that is illegal to trade? How do I know if my arachnid trading is legal?

meyken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sven is one of the most respected dealers in Europe, and you can be sure that all his animals are of the top order, and a gentleman to boot.. however, it does seem that he chanced his arm here, and tried to circumvent the law.
Hi,
Neill is right, Sven is a very reputable dealer (not only) here in Germany and one of the most serious guys in the businnes.
I´ve get a call from CNN, they wanted some informations from me and i was really shoked as i hear about the big problems for Sven.

The only reason I can find in any of the three articles posted that the man was arrested for, was wildlife smuggling. Since the only tarantulas mentioned were Brachypelma species in straws(which would make them CB), how are they arresting him for breaking CITES? I thought it was fine to trade and sell them if they were C(aptive)B(red). They even went so far as to entrap him by have the Fish & Wildlife agents pose as customers! Why on Earth have they gone to all this trouble over CB spiders?
I totally agree with this post. Ok, Sven has broken the law in the states, but the spiders he had sent where born by captive breeding and no wild caughts.
In my opinion that is´nt a reason to treat him like a very dangerous criminal. I´m shoked about the methods of the US authoritys.
I also hear from a rumor that he got a invitation to come to the USA...with a payed ticket. Does anyone have a idea who had pay those tickets?????????
Belive me, in the spider business are surely some guy´s which make a big damage in the nature, but surely not Sven.
I absolutly cant understand the chevy by Sven.

I'm confused what did he do that was wrong, was it because he smuggled the spiders on his person? What if he shipped them would that be ok? Is it just the species that is illegal to trade? How do I know if my arachnid trading is legal?
Sven didnt smuggeld the spiders in his bagage. You could read in the multiple reports in the web, that the spiders where sent via air mail.
His fault was to ship by the postal way and (possible) to a customer which did not have a import permit. Ordering in the US with estate of a import permit and via air cargo is allowed and legal.

Just my 2 cent´s,
Michael

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
why

First off you have to go through customs and a port of entry to bring any animals from other countries. Even if you wanted to take your own dog or cat to another country or vice versa you have file this with the proper customs departments. Fish and wild life usually inspects those shipments. What this guy was doing is mailing tarantulas to people directly through the mail to avoid all the customs and airline charges.

The other thing he did is shipped an "endagered" "cities" species without proper paper work to prove that they are captive bred. If you want to export/import any brachypelma species you have to file for paper work that they are captive bred. I believe this is even a bigger deal than the first law he broke.

Arthropod

Arachnopeon
Wow well maybe if they streamlined the logistical work behind exporting than more people would go through the legal means. I think what that law does is drive up the prices of animals since its harder to export them, giving breeders less competition.

barabootom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
He had to know he was breaking the law. Shipping T's across borders without permits is extremely foolish. Even if he was highly respected, this kind of smuggling hurts legit dealers as well as legit breeders and collectors. If indeed all the T's were captive bred, I hope they don't stick him with maximum penalties, but he certainly deserves to be punished.

Dexity

Arachnopeon
to meyken this government takes pride in catching people from other countries and putting them through what US citizens have to go through, hell there is a guy from canada I used to deal with on some aspects and now the DEA is chasing him around CANADA, not even in this country and they are chasing him. Pretty much this country enjoys screwing with everyone they can, and making people sad as well as poisoning them as often as possible.... :barf: