smithi

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
okay i have got me juvenile smithi two monts ago
and she came with a bald spot on her abdomen but the coulor is normal so id think hair fliking any way she hasnt eaten since
i got her and i am woried
i have been keeping my t under 20-23 degres
c
and now the dude i got it from told me that she doesent eat becuase she is too cold and told me to heat it to 28 degres c
is this true will this save my t :confused: :confused:

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We keep all of ours between 21 C - 27 C ; and they (including a B. smithi) seem to be thriving.

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
then why isnt she eating and she is high on crack
she runs like a junkey
at the speed of light

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
she runs like a junkey
at the speed of light
They're excellent starvation artists because of their minimal physical activity. He/she might not be eating now, but in 1 to 2, maybe even 3 months from now it will start to eat. But it's typical for them to go long periods of time without eating. I believe the longest recorded length of time, that one went without eating was 2 years.

The thing to remember is, if the T hasn't eaten it's prey in 24 hours to remove it from the cage. It's presence could stress the tarantula and worsen the condition. If that's the case;

I suggest you read "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" by the Schultz's (Stanly A. and Maguerite J.). They suggest that if your faced with a T fasting , to try upping the temperature. The safest maximum 40 degrees C, 104 degrees F .

Last edited:

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by t man{tal}
she runs like a junkey
at the speed of light
You say she has a bald spot, and the color is 'normal'.. what's 'normal' out of curiousity? Black like the rest or the abdomen, or pink?

If It's black, you've got a molt on the way.

Bill

Mad Scientist

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You say she has a bald spot, and the color is 'normal'.. what's 'normal' out of curiousity? Black like the rest or the abdomen, or pink?
Good job bill,

I forgot to mention that. :)

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
woo thanks you guys thats a big help and her abdomen is pinkish

by the way my curly has blocked his lair and his abdomen is
black im expecting a molt soon will try to post pics if i cold see her

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Be sure to raise the humidity when they are about to molt. When they go black, mist the walls a little every now an then! (DO NOT mist the spider it self!!!)
This makes it easyer for them to molt!

t man{tal}

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just thoght i should update you guys well my t began eating now after i raised a little the temp
thanks