Smithi / Annitha: Opinions Needed

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I learned that both are almost identical, a few even claiming(or atleas not sure) that both are just different color morphs of the smithi species.

I just wanna know to those who actually got both, are they really identical looking from a non-expert's view? And I plan to get some Brachypelma, and though color matters to me, does it really matter for a noob to get the two? Or is it advisable that I rather get only one of the two, and get Brachypelma of a far different color.

BIG THANKS!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you are stricktly looking for vast colors, get two different Brachys. Maybe boehmei and vagans, or smithi and emilia. You could come up with a ton of combos. It's all up to you. Look at the picks of the genus and pick out a few species.

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the amount of orange they have on each segment of the legs are different, if you look. other than that, really not too much difference to a novice i guess.

don't quote me on this though, but i think annitha is suppose to be a little larger? or is it just my imagination...ryan, can you confirm this?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the only real difference is the carapace, many feel all the annitha is, is a color variation...soo if you have a choice get the annitha its alittle more uncommon in collections and like ryan said emilia or boehmei....

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Annitha is uncommon in most collections. I don't even have one anymore. I had one a maybe 2 years back and traded her. Kinda wish I dident now. They do get a bit bigger then smithi, but the difference between them is not huge. I like them all though so I am the wrong guy to ask {D

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so what about this...

http://www.spidy.goliathus.com/english/brachypelma-annitha-id171.html

the carapace looks exactly like a smithi but you can see difference in the leg coloration. brachy or brachy...
i understand that lol but what really sets them apart is the carapace with is usually more of the yellow orange compared to the black of the smithi ....which is their claim to fame....regardless of it being a smithi variant or not, they are nice but if i wanted different i'd go for Baumgarteni personally (hint,hint, ryan;) )

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
DONT JINX ME! She just came out of cool down, so my fingers are triple crossed!

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i understand that lol but what really sets them apart is the carapace with is usually more of the yellow orange compared to the black of the smithi ....which is their claim to fame....regardless of it being a smithi variant or not, they are nice but if i wanted different i'd go for Baumgarteni personally (hint,hint, ryan;) )
i want them all!!!{D