Smallest?

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which species do you think is the smallest, when full grown?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I believe it might be C.elegans(sp?). I'm not sure though. It is definately one of the smallest though.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
probably... i don't know how big those get, but my c. elegans is about - what, 1.5"? if even that.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
probably... i don't know how big those get, but my c. elegans is about - what, 1.5"? if even that.
I think most females are 1.5-2.5" at most, and males hook out around 1.5-2" I am not positive on those numbers, hopefully someone can confirm or deny.

Last edited:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, according to her previous owner, she's had a sac already. now let's hope for my 1" specimen to be male :worship:

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, I imagine those guys are practically invisible as slings!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes. i used to feed my first specimen with pieces of crushed pinheads when it was a sling. though they are veracious eaters, it couldn't for the life of it eat a whole pinhead at a time. not even those really tiny ones. but they grow pretty quickly - it's close to maturity and not yet quite a year old.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, my female C. elegans are about an 1"-1.5" and my male hooked out and just barely an inch.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ahhh, as usual i am off by 1/2". With my eye sight I would have difficulty seeing the hooks.
It's interesting though, from what I've been told C. elegans are one of those species where maturation in males is really variable. I've heard people say they've had males mature at 1/2" and some nearly 2". Of course, maybe the variation is due more to the fact that we are getting old and can't see that well when things are so small, but could be just one of those things. Also my male grew A LOT faster than what I am assuming is a female from the same sac. He matured in maybe January at almost an inch and today what I am assuming is a female is barely 1/4". Interesting.

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

I think I heard it was Aphonopelma paloma(someone correct me if I'm wrong).
C.elegans are small but not the smallest.

Alain

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Hi!

I think I heard it was Aphonopelma paloma(someone correct me if I'm wrong).
C.elegans are small but not the smallest.

Alain
In my opinion they are both close to the same size. Some people say C. elegans is smaller and others say A. paloma is the smallest.