Smaller scorp for 10 gallon communial set up?

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What would be a good smaller scorp to keep 3 of in a 10 gallon tank? I'd do emperors but they are probably too big to put 3 in a 10 gallon. I'd also prefer a species that can do well at 80 degrees and 40-50% humidity.

Edit: I was reading about chinese armortails, but the gravid females may eat the males.. So I'm not sure that is the best choice? And do those flouresce?

Last edited:

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Washout said:
What would be a good smaller scorp to keep 3 of in a 10 gallon tank? I'd do emperors but they are probably too big to put 3 in a 10 gallon. I'd also prefer a species that can do well at 80 degrees and 40-50% humidity.

Edit: I was reading about chinese armortails, but the gravid females may eat the males.. So I'm not sure that is the best choice?
C.gracilis would be good but they seem to like a slightly higher humidity.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah C gracilis would indeed be perfect. Put an under gravel humidifying layer in and you would be set since these do better with more humidity.

edt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
V. spinigerus (Arizona Striped Tail).

I've got 5 3rd or 4th instars in a glass Aquarium that measured 30"x12"x12", I think a 10g is 24"x12"x12", so this is a 12.5g?

Anyways, I think they could be in the normal 10g just as well. I've got one long hide that 2 or 3 get under at once, and about 3 other hides plus a vertical log that goes up to the top, and they climb that quite well. They are also quite fast, and really neat IMO.

They are communal, haven't seen any incidents, use their tail every feed on decent sized roaches, dig a little but don't borrow, just scrape, and are CHEAP! I got 6 + 1 H. Spadix USPS Priority from Arizona for $47. There is a guy on petbugs, http://www.petbugs.com/classifieds/usa-classifieds.html,
Steve Wilson, selling the WC arizona stuff, great guy! He packs real well, good contact, ships when he says he is, everything went perfect, no DOA's!

I've got pics of my enclosure in the sticky, and the Avatar is the H. Spadix from him (only decent pic), and my camera sucks too bad to get pics of any V. spinigerus, but there are plenty around. I also hear they are easy to breed, but it will take me a while to get that far.

Cheers

Jon

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I second V spinigerus, infact I second any Vaejovid.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my favorite scorps are buthids, but a close second is any vaejovid. they are communal, quirky, unique, have big fat tails, are by far my most active scorps. Each one has it's own personality.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Washout said:

Edit: I was reading about chinese armortails, but the gravid females may eat the males.. So I'm not sure that is the best choice? And do those flouresce?

All scorpions save a few flouresce. Are you new to scorpions?

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
All species in the Vaejovid family are NOT communal. Many but not all Vaejovis ssp. can be kept communally but don't try to keep most Paruroctonus ssp. communally or you will end up with one fat Paruroctonus spp. scorpion. Even scorpions of the same species from different regions may be more or less communal.

I collected some V.spinigerus this past June from southern New Mexico. V.spinigerus is generally considered to be a fairly communal species. This group of scorpions is not communal in the least and they were all from the same hillside. I had intended to keep about 6 of them in a 10 gallon tank but spent the first 20 minutes pulling them apart...this was after they had been well fed. Needles to say I keep them individually now.

John
];')

D4RK-3L3M3NT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
C. exilicauda are very hardy and tolerate communal setups, but they can be dangerous to a newbie.