Small problem.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I put a cricket into my L. cristata's deli cup, and it immediately ran into the T's burrow. Normally the cricket would be quickly eaten, but my T doesn't look like it's hungry now. Anyway, the cricket is running around in the burrow with my T, and really upsetting it. I'd remove the cricket, but it won't leave the burrow. Anything I could possibly do about this situation, or do I just have to wait until my T gets so annoyed that it finally decides to kill the cricket?

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Sounds like your T may be getting ready to molt... though I don't know. But to insure it's safety in case it is getting ready to molt, you will need to remove the cricket before it stays in there too long. Better for you to disturb the burrow than the cricket to eat part of the molting T and causing it's passing. I try to remove any food item after 24 hours with my kids

Spiderm@n

Arachnopeon
yep i totally agree mendi, remove the cricket even if it means caving the burrow in to poach the cricket out, but be careful while doing this we don't want a dead tarantula on our hands, and be aware your Tarantula will or might be very annoyed after caving in the burrow if you do so.

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, I got it out. Instead of destroying the burrow, I put a popsicle stick in the entrance so that the cricket could crawl out. But it's lucky for my T that the tunnel goes along the side of the deli dish. I mean, if I hadn't been able to see inside, I'd have had no idea whether or not the cricket was alive. And the whole time I'm assuming it was eaten, it could have actually been chewing on my T.

Anyway, looks like I have two Ts that will molt soon. My L. cristata. My T. blondi is also going to molt soon, I think. Its abdomen hasn't started to darken yet, but it's refusing food. Plus it's been about a month and a half since I got it, so the thing will probably molt in the next week or so. I also noticed that my little usambara also recently molted. Thing is about 3/4" now. Too bad I had to destroy some of its web to get the skin out, but I don't really mind. Gives the thing something to keep it occupied, I guess. And maybe this time I'll get to watch it make a new web.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is a problem, when a T has a burrow that you can't see into.
I have that very problem with my H lividum adult female. I haven't seen her in months. I have to pick up the pet pal, and have someone shine a flashlight under it, and I can see her feet.
I get nervous putting crickets in.
I put a thawed pinkie in a couple weeks ago, and she never took it. Consequently, she doesn't get fed often, in hopes that she is hungry.
I have no idea what else to do with her. These burrowers drive me nuts :D