s'lings

guitarlust

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i got 4 slings from swift on tuesday and am wondering about a few things. first, my a. bicoloratum is burrowing up a storm (working on a third burrow). anyone else had a. bicoloratum do the same thing?? second, my c. fasciatum and n. chromatus have gone into seclusion. i'm taking that it's normal for those two species to not show themselves that much. as to feeding the two that do not make their presence known should i just place a piece of food outside the entrance to the burrow hoping they will eventually come out that night? my b. smithi and a. bicoloratum are present when both are not busy burrowing and am more than certain that they will eat. some advice please.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All sounds pretty normal to me. When feeding my slings that burrow....I usually just drop the quarter inch cricket in and put the lid back on quickly because normally they come flying up out of their burrow to grab the food. Makes me jump but it's so cool!!!

K MUELLER

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get used to them hiding during the day,get yourself a red-flashlight and check on them at night. They are usually active then,you can count on them roaming around at night. Good luck-later-Karl:D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sounds pretty normal for slings in general. A lot of them are "pet holes" until they get bigger. My chromatus just moulted and is now a good 3 1/2 inches, and it still hides. The worst by far through is my B. emilia. It does not just burrow, it digs a hole, jumps in, and covers itself with dirt. Becomes totally buried. I have no idea how that silly thing breathes like that. Don't worry, yours are fine. Just drop in food, don't dig them up, there is to much chance of hurting them accidentally.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
C. fasciatum are awesome s'lings to behold. You can feed them live prey the same size (or even larger), they blitz their prey with a tackle and sink their fangs and hang on. The crix die instantaneously.

Ask Kelly Swift about these tenacious s'lings. I remember him being on the mailing list those many years ago.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The worst by far through is my B. emilia. It does not just burrow, it digs a hole, jumps in, and covers itself with dirt. Becomes totally buried. I have no idea how that silly thing breathes like that.
yeah my 3/4" C crawshayi does the same thing.
it freaked me out the first time i looked in and it wasn't anywhere to be seen
i thought it got out