slings can be male - what do you do about that?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After getting many males, I started to think about it. It's like people think that females are superior or something. They both have their place in nature and are equal. Right? Yes, females live much longer, but of course males don't have time to eat, cause they actually need to FIND the female. :) I think it's fun to see an active tarantula for a change.

These days I love all of my spiders as much, no matter if they are females or not.
females if you look at in an "economical sense" are superior.... more money and last so much longer then males.... which in turn equals a better investment of your money...

to be honest though the average hobbyist isn't so concerned with that, much like yourself...but when you start spending thousands of dollars acquiring rare and hardly available species or if trying to breed said species , the money then plays a factor....if you are spending 300 plus for a sling wouldn't it be more economical to buy a sexed female, then play Russian roulette with unsexed slings...3 slings might get a female and i stress might..

so is 3 males a bad thing not really but at a 15% (and thats high) for maybe getting a return on your male in a sac or viable slings isn't good either...or spend half as much and get a female and look to spend the other money acquiring other t's you might want...simple mathematics and if space is an issue :? isn't it more economical to buy 1 sexed verses having to house a slue of unsexed sub's...sooo what im saying is that there is pros and cons....

its a catch-22, so wanting a female doesnt mean you don't love your T's, i think it just means you don't have the time and space or the money to waste hoping for averages to work....

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i do that sometimes. at shows i totally try to ventrally sex stuff. amusingly enough, not just to get females... but to hopefully get the sex i want/need (penultimate males are usually pretty easy to spot in most species)

you know... pretty much everything i have said in this thread can be taken out of context and be WAY funny
ROTFLOL thus why Context is very impotent...i mean important lol

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
to be honest though the average hobbyist isn't so concerned with that, much like yourself might..
I fully understand your point. I know a guy who owns a VERY rare collection in europe (where I live). But still, I couldn't care a less, if my Xenesthis immanis or Megaphobema velvetosoma are a male or female. Yes, I know they are not the P. metallica, but if we are starting to classify these animals by gender/species, something goes terribly wrong

Heh. A TRUE hobbyist don't mind if he/she gets a male, because they can always breed them. Good night!

Last edited:

ZooRex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personallly, it doesn't matter to me whether I get a male or female T. So far I've never been interested in breeding T's myself, of course the more I'm on ABs, the more ideas I get. For me first and formost, its all about the COLOR! ~ Rex

recluse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When buying or trading slings I just by three of each. So far even when I buy one it has turned out female. Lucky me.;P

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I fully understand your point. I know a guy who owns a VERY rare collection in europe (where I live). But still, I couldn't care a less, if my Xenesthis immanis or Megaphobema velvetosoma are a male or female. Yes, I know they are not the P. metallica, but if we are starting to classify these animals by gender/species, something goes terribly wrong

Heh. A TRUE hobbyist don't mind if he/she gets a male, because they can always breed them. Good night!
no worries mate, i wasn't trying to imply anything....well for some of us that dont have the room getting sexed females just solves alot of problems....and whos classifying what????

what defines a true hobbyist:? ???? the kid with 1 t or the guy with a 1000 plus?? there is no difference.......soo your making no sense there....

and breed what??? the average for breeding successful sacks from a male is less then 10%......soo why waste your money when you could just get a t that will live more then 2-3 years......

Paramite

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what defines a true hobbyist:? ???? the kid with 1 t or the guy with a 1000 plus?? there is no difference.......soo your making no sense there....

and breed what??? the average for breeding successful sacks from a male is less then 10%......soo why waste your money when you could just get a t that will live more then 2-3 years......
Peace!

I was trying to make a joke, which obviously didn't work. With my band and my friends, "TRUE" is kind of a joke. I don't always remember that same jokes won't work in different places. Sorry.

Last edited:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Peace!

I was trying to make a joke, which obviously didn't work. With my band, "TRUE" is kind of a joke. I don't always remember that same jokes won't work in different places. : |
i know what you mean by that....no worries..im still getting used to using the smiley faces.........:wall: :) ;)

Needles666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not looking to breed my T's, and I buy the ones I like the looks of (based on adult looks), I also prefer arboreal.

So my handful of a collection is basically Avics and Pokies.

I'm not sure on the looks of males/females in the Avics, they look more similar.

But in Pokies, females I've seen have always looked so much better than their male counterparts.

Add in the fact that I don't plan on having more than say 15 total T's, I'd prefer females, just based on looks and lifespan, due to my limited want/space.