Sling questions

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
Hello, my first pet Ts recently arrived-- a cyriopagopus sp. sling and b. smithi sling. Despite searching through the forum's database, I'd like a few opinions about housing and feeding them to ease my mind.

First, I bought some prekilled Zoo Med Mini Crickets. Will these prekilled crickets do fine?

Secondly, containers; I would rather not move the slings from the vials they were shipped in until necessary, so I would like to know how long I can keep them in them until they need more space. Here is a picture of the spiders in their shipped vials and their next homes.

Thirdly, I've heard that slings can sometimes burrow into substrate and then the substrate above them collapses, potentially killing them. Will 100% peat moss pose a threat for the slings in this manner?

Thanks!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
get the peat pretty wet and pack the heck out of it and it should hold a burrow pretty well i have a H. gigas that has a long tunnel under it and its shown no sign of collapse

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont give them the zoo med crickets. Get them live appropriate sized crickets. They are more than big enough to take down small crickets. They are also big enough to move into those jars. Those vials are too small. Unless you put a ton of dirt in, those guys could get out of 4 inches of dirt no problem. Get containers ready and transfer :)

Shadow Tongue

Arachnopeon
Dont give them the zoo med crickets. Get them live appropriate sized crickets.
We have one place that sells live crickets in my small town and it has weird hours. I'll buy some when I can get to the larger city nearby, but for the instances when I can't access live crickets, I would like to know whether these will suffice, not whether they are preferable (I know they aren't compared to living food).

They are also big enough to move into those jars. Those vials are too small. Unless you put a ton of dirt in, those guys could get out of 4 inches of dirt no problem. Get containers ready and transfer :)
Sure thing. As soon as the blue's container is finished soaking to eliminate the smell of cat treats (lol), I'll transfer them.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok the vials are just fine till they seem to be getting cramped. I keep my slings in small vials till they are to big. And you will know what do big is cause they will just look like its time for an upgrade.

In a small vial they will dig, sometimes all the way to the bottem making a chamber. They will be just fine. Peat has never killed a sling I have kept.

Prekilled works sometimes with slings, but fresh prekilled is much better. They seem to take fresh pre killed prey willingly.

Add some peat into those vials only like 1/4 of the vial and keep it lightly moist. I mist my vials when they look like they are drying out.

That should get you by for a few months till they start to grow and need to be moved.